200-4R vs the 700R4 / 4L60 / 4L60E / 4L65E clan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200-4R vs the 700R4 / 4L60 / 4L60E / 4L65E clan

I understand that the 200-4R is the same legth as a TH350 and has junkyard BOP bellhousings available to hook it up to other gm engines. Are there any other reasons reasons to use this over the 700R4 types? Which one would be the cheapeast to build up to withstand 450-500 lb/ft of torque.

On a related note. Is it within the realm of a Do-it-yourselfer to upgrade/rebuild one of these overdrives?

Sorry for all the questions. I am one of those guys that has to have 95 % of his project car figured out in his head before he can even start.

Re: 200-4R vs the 700R4 / 4L60 / 4L60E / 4L65E clan

The 700 (4L60) would be cheaper to rebuild. The 4L60E is computer controlled. This is the one I use in my 67 Camaro.
    The 200-4R is a good transmission when it's built with all the HP upgrades but can be a little troublesome to getting it to shift the way you want. For example, if you don't like the shift points at wide open throttle, then you would have to drop the transmission pan to access the governor so you can recalibrate it. The 700 has a cover on the left side for easy access to the governor. Also the upgrades for the 200 will be at a much higher cost.

Both trans will need some special tools to rebuild. The 200 would probably be a little easier as long as you have the tool to remove the center support.
    As a do-it yourself-er, you can do either. But just be clean, and thorough. And take your time. When it's done, make damn sure you have the throttle cable hooked up to the carb linkage and you have plenty of tension on it. It's easier to start off with hard and late shifts then adjust down, rather than starting off slipping and burning the clutches and band. Then you have ruined your rebuild.
    You will also need to have your torque converter clutch wired up properly or your trans will overheat.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. 8)

Comment

Do you know how to wire a 200r4 (& heck a 700r4 too) so that the converter locks up automatically in 4th?

I had a 700r4 rebuilt by the trans guy at the GM dealership I worked for at the time in my Firebird and I had two wires coming out the trans, one for a ground and one for 12 volts. He set it up that way so I could decide if I wanted the 12v or the ground to control the lock up. Basically wiring it so it was grounded and had 12V when the car was started made it lock the converter up as soon as it went into 4th. I put a toggle switch inline so I could dis-engage the lock up in 4th when I felt it was necessary.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Great response indyshiftman.I was one of the dumb ones that made a four mile loop,barely making it back to the shop before the 700r4 completely burned up. All this after just freshly rebuilding her to only melt her down because of stupidity on the throttle body cable.Some lessons are hard learned,oh well.
        Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Depends on what you are putting it behind. A 200-4R has Chevy and BOP bolt holes in it while a 700R4 is for Chevy only. Adapters are available but for extra cost. GM put the 200 behind the Turbo V6 in every Grand National and Turbo Trans Am they built. They can be built to live behind lots of horsepower.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            Do you know how to wire a 200r4 (& heck a 700r4 too) so that the converter locks up automatically in 4th?

I had a 700r4 rebuilt by the trans guy at the GM dealership I worked for at the time in my Firebird and I had two wires coming out the trans, one for a ground and one for 12 volts. He set it up that way so I could decide if I wanted the 12v or the ground to control the lock up. Basically wiring it so it was grounded and had 12V when the car was started made it lock the converter up as soon as it went into 4th. I put a toggle switch inline so I could dis-engage the lock up in 4th when I felt it was necessary.
            Here is a link to what you need. They work great. I've used several.
            http://www.bowlertransmissions.com/catalog.aspx?cid=34

Comment

Awesome, that will work perfectly and you have experience with them. Thanks!
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The best feature of the 200 is the gear splits. I hate the ratios of the 700s, always feel lazy into 2nd gear. And the price to build strong 200 is pretty close to a 700. Ask Brian Rock how he likes his 200. Alot of the GN turbo guys use them. Plus it has a steeper od.
                200-R4

4L60

heres a great website...www.bowtieoverdrives.com
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Casper's Electronics

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  Do you know how to wire a 200-4R...

Basically wiring it so it was grounded and had 12V when the car was started made it lock the converter up as soon as it went into 4th. I put a toggle switch inline so I could dis-engage the lock up in 4th when I felt it was necessary.

John Spina @ www.caspereselectronics.com makes exactly
                  what you've described & are looking for, specifically for the 200-4R.

He's in the midst of a website re-do, & it's not showing up in the online catalog.

Nobody beats Casper's for quality, and the price
                  for their lock-up controller is 1/2 of others. We've
                  got one *somewhere* in the garage left-over from
                  a long-gone TR project we'd give you, but it might
                  be July before we'd ever find it. Worked great for years.

Here's the Contact Info for John @ www.casperselectronics.com:

John's extension is "114". He's an electronics genius & a heckuva nice fellow! --

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal

GM put the 200 behind the Turbo V6 in every

Grand National and Turbo Trans Am they built.

Yep, those particular 200-4Rs came with the

uniquely special (and rare) HD "BRF" valve bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal

They can be built to live

behind lots of horsepower.

They sure can ---> http://www.ckperformance.com/resourc...SMISSIONS.html

Comment

The BRF and BQ valve bodies are I think the only ones with ECM commanded lock ups. The rest are hydromechanical and run off of a vacuum switch for engine load and brake pedal interupt.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Greetings, junkers,

I've done both and would spend my money on a built 200-4R. It is physically smaller and has better ratios. thnx, jack vines

Comment

Great info and help. Thank you all.

I have a 94 Tahoe that has a slipping trans and you guys have me thinking I can rebuild it. I will start looking for a rebuild able core so when the time comes I can just swap ‘em out.

I’m looking at a ’68 ¾ ton Chevy pickup for sale locally that has a inline 6 and some kind of auto trans. Was looking into a small Chevy/overdrive combo for it. Can one of the electronic 4L60E / 4L65E be combined with a carb? Is that more work than it is worth?

Comment

A couple of different possibilities,
                              1) You will need a computer. The one I use is a GM Performance Parts computer. It is the same one that TCI sells and it's made by Fast Electronics.

2) Trans-Go has a vacuum modulator set up that you can install to regulate line pressure. You would have to do the valve body shift kit along with it. This way, you would not need a computer... However, I have never used one so I can't really give you any idea on how it works, but I would have to think that this would make the trans manual shift only. Without a computer, you would have no upshift signal.

Comment

Working...
                              X