carb varnish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb varnish?

Okay guys...what actually cleans or disolves carb varnish...

Bought this Z1 with 14yr old gas in the tank and the Carbs are PURE Dark brown crystal gunk...

Any thoughts.... last time I did this it took a pick and many hours of careful scraping... and that was on a much smaller carb...

Keith

Re: carb varnish?

The real old-school Berryman Chem-Dip in the gallon can with the dip basket.

Comment

I haven't seen any thing resist brake clean yet, then again I'm not sure I've seen crystalized gas varnish either. For the tank if I were in your shoes I'd try one of those Motor Flush or Chem Dip cans and put it in the tank and shake it around. The chem dip would probably work for the motorcycle carbs as well.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

What about carb-cleaner?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
          What about carb-cleaner?

In my expirience with old, varnished carbs, the chem-dip is the best route.
          Carb clean is not strong enough.
          Be sure to blow out the bleeds and what-not with compressed air.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
            Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
            What about carb-cleaner?

In my expirience with old, varnished carbs, the chem-dip is the best route.
            Carb clean is not strong enough.
            Be sure to blow out the bleeds and what-not with compressed air.
            i just did the same thing on a 10 year old eddlebrock carb. i should have taken befor and after pics but it cleaned up great.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
              yep

Comment

Originally posted by hiway
                Originally posted by Freiburger
                yep
                ditto on the yep.
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

yep .also just dont get it on you it will stink for a week lol. we have some stuf at work (gunk brand)in a 5 gal bucket same smelly stuff

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                    yep .also just dont get it on you it will stink for a week lol. we have some stuf at work (gunk brand)in a 5 gal bucket same smelly stuff
                    Take it from a guy who used that stuff every week for two years. Use heavy rubber gloves and wear clothes that you mind smelling like that forever.

Or.. you could put a couple drops behind each ear and Tonya won't come near you for a month.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm surprised you guys can get that kind of stuff in California. Back here in Michigan, we hear lots of stories about your state.
                      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

This junk is a quarter inch thick... and hard like a crystal... we'll see, I've got some barryman ... ( or the older good stuff )...

just thought someone would have an answer like acetone or something that literally brushed this junk off...

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                          This junk is a quarter inch thick... and hard like a crystal... we'll see, I've got some barryman ... ( or the older good stuff )...

just thought someone would have an answer like acetone or something that literally brushed this junk off...

K

Well you COULD use something like muratic acid i'm sure it would just melt away,just stay upwind wear heavy rubber gloves(hell a suit if ya got one!)Just remember no guarantees you won't look like a 3 eyed mutant when your done!I say soak away in the berrymans,probly safer.

8)

Comment

Hey Turk, you have been watching to many "BOOM or ZOOM" ads late at night, on those home shopping channels
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk

K
                              how about some light media blasting using fine sand or soda powder just to get the thick layer off?

Comment

Working...
                              X