Duster steering column question. Pwr to manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duster steering column question. Pwr to manual

My son's 71 Duster came with power steering, I have obtained a manual sector and column out of another A body. Can I take the manual steering SHAFT only, and put in the Pwr steering housing?

Re: Duster steering column question. Pwr to manual

You can usually just break the plastic tabs in the collapsable power steering column and stretch it out long enough to work with a manual steering box. If that weirds you out too much, you can buy a column adapter from Firm Feel that mates the ps column to the manual box.

Comment

Yes I put manual steering in my 63 and I used the adapter from Firm Feel. Ron

Comment

The shafts are different sizes, hence needing the adapter, or i've heard of using a Borgeson joint also.

Comment

Maybe my info was not clear. I have the manual sector, it is installed on the car. I have the complete column out of the manual steering car. The column that is in the Duster now is in better shape appearance wise. I wanted to take just the shaft out of the ugly column (manual) and install it in the pretty column which is a p/s column. Will it fit? I know the shaft is longer but what about the bearing size and spacing.

Comment

I am not sure about the bearing size and placement. When I converted my Demon from power to manual steering, I cut the shaft, welded and gusseted a new section in, and put it back in the car. It worked great. I have heard about breaking the plastic tabs as DF stated, but I wasn't sure how much spline engagement would remain after stretching the column so I cut and welded.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I think both shafts are the same length, just pinned in a different place. But check that rather than trusting me.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                I think both shafts are the same length, just pinned in a different place. But check that rather than trusting me.
                It's always good to get more info. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X