Lifter tick from a 350 Olds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifter tick from a 350 Olds

I have a '70 Olds 350 that has pretty loud lifter tick right at startup (at least I'm assuming it is lifter tick). It is a .030 over, 9.0:1 compression 350 with factory small valve heads. Holley 600. Was rebuilt about 8 years ago (~20-25k miles). The tick continues after the engine warms up, but might get a little quiter after everything is up to temp.

I see basically 3 choices. 1. Do nothing (for now). 2. Just replace the lifters 3. Upgrade to Edelbrock RPM cam, lifters, intake. I'm wanting to buy a posi carrier for my Typs 'O' diff and 3.42 - 3.90 gears this spring, so I don't really have the extra coin for the cam/lifter/intake right now. But,the ticking is starting to annoy me.

Any advice or thoughts?

Re: Lifter tick from a 350 Olds

Olds motors use a fulcrum rocker bridge setup, and thay have been known to break,
    causing mis-alignment, and allowing slop in the valvetrain, making a similar noise to what you are
    speaking of.
    First, remove the valve covers and check the rocker bridges, also check for loose hardware, and bent pushrods.

The noise is likely from broken bridges.

Comment

That low miles after 8 years tells me the pooch sits on the porch too much. A quart of ATF should loosen the gum/varnish (if that's your problem) causing your noise with it's high detergent content. It may take a couple hundred miles (2 years at your pace) to do it's thing. Just leave the ATF in there and drive it. If it's not the problem, it won't harm anything

Comment

the rocker bridges could be worn causing play cause valve train is basicly nonadjustable if nothing is broken check for wear
        (dry starts from long periods between startups)

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
          the rocker bridges could be worn causing play cause valve train is basicly nonadjustable if nothing is broken check for wear
          (dry starts from long periods between startups)
          Yes as these are made of aluminum (rocker bridges) they don't even need to be broken to make noise they just plain wear out.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll pull the valve covers this weekend and have a look.

Groucho, I have put about 160,000 miles on various f-bodies during the same time frame. To be honest the 4th gen F-bodies are a lot more fun to drive from a dynamic standpoint. The old cars have lot more style though.

Comment

It don't matter how many miles you put on other cars. You were asking about THIS ONE. So, that's what I responded to. My opinion remains. Unless of course, worn valve train components were overlooked at the rebuild
              Originally posted by trans am
              Thanks guys, I'll pull the valve covers this weekend and have a look.

Groucho, I have put about 160,000 miles on various f-bodies during the same time frame. To be honest the 4th gen F-bodies are a lot more fun to drive from a dynamic standpoint. The old cars have lot more style though.

Comment

Working...
              X