Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buick 350 in C10?

Long story short.

I need to do some inbreeding in my fleet and the '70 buick 350 (basically a free engine), needs to go in the 80 C10.

Whut mounts can make that work? I've heard buick 231 mounts would do it but what application do I swipe them off of? I'm wondering if old Impala mounts would do the trick.

OH, my TH350C is a BOP/Corporate, so that problem is solved at least.
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Re: Buick 350 in C10?

use the sbc stands and drill them..
    the stands on the frame are quite large..

and the buick v8 motor mounts with engine brackets

Comment

I did a BBB in an '80 C10. The Electra mounts dropped right in on the Chevy mount holes with no hassle. I bolted the TH400 from the deuce-and-a-quarter right in (the truck had been a Diesel) and let the front mounts fall where they went, which was right on the existing mount holes. Nothin' to it. I'm not sure how much the SBB and BBB share in common as far as mounts, etc. so this may not prove helpful for you.

Dan

Comment

231 V6 mounts work with the Buick 350. The 455 ones are different, and both those are an entirely different style than the Chevy.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
          231 V6 mounts work with the Buick 350. The 455 ones are different, and both those are an entirely different style than the Chevy.
          he can use the buick engine brackets
          buick nova clone motor mounts (350 buick)
          and the chevy truck engine frame stands that the motor mount bolts to..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
            Huh?

Comment

Oh, and I know the V6 mounts that were in my Skylark were fairly tall.

Comment

subframe it with a deuce and a quarter front clip

Comment

I didn't manage to look but I think the truck uses the clamshell style mount with the insert, and a solid "bracket" that bolts to the block. The 231 and 350B use the solid frame pad and the rubber actually bolts to the engine.

Will the buford smallblock A-body pads bolt up to the truck frame? I can drill new holes but then I have to worry about spacing to the trans, I guess the pinion angle too but this is a $500 truck on a good day so if it merely rolls under it's own power again I'll be happy.

Comment

Put the mounts together and then drop it in attached to the trans and bolt that mount up. Tack weld the mounts in place if they don't line up with holes then unbolt the frame stands and drill the holes in place.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Gitinerdun with what you have - nice work.

I'm sure with the engine and trans set in place - you'll come up with a solution.

Maybe worth it to have a few sets of mounts on hand - and return those that don't work.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                        Put the mounts together and then drop it in attached to the trans and bolt that mount up. Tack weld the mounts in place if they don't line up with holes then unbolt the frame stands and drill the holes in place.
                        Oh that's another thing, the 231 metal frame mounts that came out of my car (representative of the '75-79 x-body?) were steel and not cast iron like the 455 mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                          Huh?
                          on these trucks.. the motor mount doesn't bolt to the frame crossmember,, an engine stand does, and then the motor mount bolts to it.. then your (in this case buick350) engine brackets[side of block) bolts to it..
                          clear as mud ;)

Comment

I messed with it last night and here are a few observations.

The "Stands" are about 5-6 inches too far forward, but the frame is drilled to move them back some (about 2 inches) so I might try that.

The frame pads from the buick will be too far apart once bolted to the stands so there's that to deal with too.

What I'm going to do is take some 1/2 steel and cut two plates and weld the buick pads to them moving the engine further back another few inches. That way, the poor sap that buys this truck for scrap won't have to hunt me down when he goes to swap a chevy back in there.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                              Oh that's another thing, the 231 metal frame mounts that came out of my car (representative of the '75-79 x-body?) were steel and not cast iron like the 455 mounts.
                              Best I know all of the SBB and V6 mounts were stamped steel instead of a cast chunk. Certainly were on the '64 LeSabre I tried to get some off of and were on the G-bodies as well. Never checked a B or a E body but I bet they are the same.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X