32 Ford Roadster wiring ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 Ford Roadster wiring ?

Guys I'm going to have to pick the home for the main electrical panel for the 32 this weekend.... here's the 3 locations that come to mind...

under the dash on a swing down panel...

behind the seat in the trunk

In one of the side kick panels in the front drivers area...

none other then in the trunk are particularly convenient... and the trunk's only good until the interior goes in... then I'm going to have to build some kind of access... and the wires will have to transition to the front of the car some how...

The down side to under the dash is that just about no matter how good it is... you'll still be able to see something... ( Maybe)

Obviously the kick panel works pretty well until you have to work on the car on it's wheels one day on the side of the road... in the rain...

Keep in mind this car is VERY basic and is getting the absolute minimum wiring it takes to be safe...

Any thoughts?

Keith

Re: 32 Ford Roadster wiring ?

Whats easiest, and how often do you plan on being in the rain.
    HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

I'm gonna drive this thing like I stole it.... and down here it rains virtually every afternoon in the summer... the chances of being caught out are better then good...

K

Comment

Then that is half of your problem solved, just have to figure out the other half.

For easy and if you plan on driving it like you stole it would the swing down panel be worth it.

Out of the rain and not an all out show car.
        HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

yeah and I can do it so it's got those wingnut style deuz fasteners....Hmmm

K

Comment

There you go. :D
            HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

go for under the dash, access is a wonderful thing, i just finished doing a Ron Francis bare bones harness, very small and compact.
              Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Ron Francis sure makes a mountain out of a molehill.....all those wiring connectors on the panel that you don't really need. but I guess they make it easy for folks who aren't comfortable with a normal wiring harness.

Just how minimal is the wiring going to be? is there really a need for a panel? How about just using an ignition switch and a light switch? that's how it was done in the old days.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Funny Jim... I was just down there sorting through the same thing...

The nice thing about a painless or francis unit is that someone else thinks through the whole thing and labels and sorts wire sizing for you....

Maybe that isn't such a bad thing...

K

Comment

Yeah, that may be a good thing, most guys don't understand electrical stuff and are better off with some good design help.

If you do get a wiring kit, consider how long the wires are, that will probably restrict where you put the panel. Most or all kits are designed to have the panel under the dash on the driver side.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Those kits also take a one week job and make it a day job, so you can get back to the drinking side of your car,,,,, I mean thinking side of it.
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                        If you do get a wiring kit, consider how long the wires are, that will probably restrict where you put the panel. Most or all kits are designed to have the panel under the dash on the driver side.
                        Keith has a Painless trunk-mount kit, so the wires are PLENTY long.

Trunk mount is easiest for access, but the drawback is the long bundle of wires that goes forward to the dash, engine, and lights.

Keith, don't overlook the fact that your seat has a flop-up bottom section with storage underneath. That's probably your best compromise for the fuse box location.

Comment

Hmmm The wiring is long for sure....

hadn't thought about under the seat... and your right... that flip feature would make that a logical place...

I'll run down and look at that again...

K

Comment

I have a 29 roadster and put it under the dash.I used a Painless "offroad" Jeep harness.No top and lots of rain!
                            FWIW,if you put it in the kick panel it will get kicked! Not alot of foot or leg room,and behind the seat or in the trunk it will get bashed by your toolbox/beer cooler and shut the car off.I learned the hard way ;D

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                              Funny Jim... I was just down there sorting through the same thing...

The nice thing about a painless or francis unit is that someone else thinks through the whole thing and labels and sorts wire sizing for you....

Maybe that isn't such a bad thing...

K
                              Gotta love Painless....They even have instructions so the electrically challenged like myself can do it.
                              Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X