Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh Seams???

Here is one for the fabrication guys:

What equipment is needed to fabricate a "Pittsburgh Seam" in sheetmetal? These seams are typically used in pre-fabricated wheel tub kits like the ones you can buy from Summit or Jeg's. I was just wondering how tough it is to replicate this seam.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Pittsburgh Seams???

Pittsburgh seems - like a bad place! Dirty, smokey (Oh, that was back when we made steel in this country....).

Anyway, back in my working days, we had a Lockformer machine that was made for this. It was about the size of a wood jointer, if that helps. It had a two feed paths - 1 for the "male" and one for the "female" - although I'm not sure that male and female exactly apply. We rarely used it and I don't know if it's still there. There may be a more manual method, but I don't really know that, either.

Dan

Comment

like he said it is a specialized machine used in hvac duct work trade .we make mini tubs where i work. we go to the sheet metal place down the street with a pattern they do it for like 50.00 ,and i get to bang them together my self .we supply the metal

Comment

something like this?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I have one. An unbelievable system of rollers and dies to form the seam. I'm amazed at its ease of making this lock in the short span of maybe 18". No way you can duplicate it without the Pittsburg. You cant really open it up to see inside, I jus peer thru the holes...otherwise I'd take a pic.

Comment

sounds like a good place for rust to start.

Butt joints and a little welding are the way to go IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaqu
              sounds like a good place for rust to start.

Butt joints and a little welding are the way to go IMO.
              That is why I like to use aluminum! HVAC people used galvanized or galvannealed material for corrosion resistance.

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
              X