Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunnel ram volume street/strip

Hello
    Has anyone played with tunnel ram volume ? I was particularily interested in the area between the two carbs and if it can be reduced for a street car( bolt in restrictor) then take it out for the strip
    I just can't see why you need more than double the volume of a single 4 intake when running on the street
    Tom
    I am already playing with this, I was just curious if anyone else has done the same. Car is not finished yet

Re: Tunnel ram volume street/strip

I don't think a bolt-in restriction is going to help. I can't see it improving the signal to the carb, which is what the potential problem is with a tunnel ram. IMO, a long-runner tunnel rams is nearly the perfect street intake and they can be tuned to run perfectly throughout the rpm range. The only problem seems to be cold starts, and with 80 to 200ccs of pump shot available from two Holleys, it's not hard to flood the thing with fuel if you're not careful.

In a recent test we did a 383 Mopar, a Weiand tunnel ram made more power than an RPM Air Gap at every point from 2,500-6,500 rpm.

Comment

Hello David
      Thank you for your response
      I have a Hot Rod mag that shows you with a 383 and in it was mentioned the fact that you where going to try out your collection of intakes
      I did not think the updated articles where out yet? I did not buy this months issue yet, but I will tonight
      take care
      Tom

Comment

I bought the mag last night. I saw the single four lid on the ram and I see where it said the two fours making more power, but I did not see any numbers
        Perhaps that is in a future issue? The main thing is that David said it worked really well, above the other manifolds
        As far as cold starts go, I am used to that. I do hate the snow we just got, but it looks like we will have to put up with it for 4-5 months
        take care
        Tom

Comment

Pretty sure all the numbers are in the charts in the story.

Comment

That was a very good article. I just sold a 440 weiand tunnel ram.

Comment

I was reading the article today and I have a question of sorts. My buddy has a 62 Facel Vega. It's a french built hot rod with Chrysler power. It's really rare, like only 200-300 built over five years. The 57-59 models had dual quad 392 Hemis and Gregg's has a 383 with dual fours rated at 400 hp. It has a Torqueflite behind it now, but originally had a Ponte Mousson 5 speed stick.

Did Chrysler ever have a dual four 383 in a American car or one rated at 400 hp?

I don't suppose any of you guys know where we can get another Ponte Mousson 5 speed?
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                Did Chrysler ever have a dual four 383 in a American car or one rated at 400 hp?

I don't suppose any of you guys know where we can get another Ponte Mousson 5 speed?
                Yes on the dual-quad 383. Early '60s Chrysler 300s, I think.

No clue on the trans. No habla francais.

Comment

Je ne parle pas francais aussie. Parle vous A833?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That's sick.... and you speak french too?

Comment

The Facel Vega was supposed to be a great car. My uncle who had a penchant for different cars (including a collection of studebakers ) had a line on one of these but passed away before he could get his hands on it. They started with small hemi 1958-62 then had a 383 or 413 wedge in 61-64.

Comment

Expensive too. Incomplete ones are getting 60-70 grand here in LA.

Keith I said "I don't speak french" in french. Actually, I took it for three years in high school. Could speak it well enough for the Parisians to put up with me when I was there. Haven't it spoken hardly at all since moving to Cali. I should've taken spanish. I do have fun screwing the car wash guys asking them to clean the wheels in french. "Que?"

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

That's funny,

I learned all my foreign language skills in the Navy. My vocabulary mostly consists of words used when ordering drinks. Vin rouge, Vin Blanc, Bier, Cervesa, etc. If someone stuck you on a submarine and went underwater for 60 days that's what you would learn when you pulled into port too so don't laugh . . . ;D

What was this thread about anyways?

Comment

Yes on the 383 with two fours. I believe it was from 58-62 or something like that. 300's, D500's, and Fury's I believe were the only ones that could have them first, they they were a sort of hidden option on everything. It was rated at 343hp and was quite popular in certain super stock classes. I remember a couple of 62' Dodge wagons that were running superstock with a 383-343hp engine. Its the highest rated 383 ever I believe and had the 300's heads.

I like tunnel rams....I just like flat hoods more

Comment

I love these tests, but since I run 351Cs the results mean squat when you look at a 351C-4V. Someday, I'd like to fill the runners in a 4V tunnelram to match the Parker port fillers in my heads and run a dyno test.

To the original question - you'll get a little more response removing plenum volume but probably not enough to make a difference. Runner size and velocity is what you'd have to work on, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X