Tunnel ram volume street/strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tunnel ram volume street/strip

I think you want to make sure to call it a "Facel" and not just a "Vega" ...it's a status thing.

I think Hemmings or eBay are the first places to look for the Pont-a-mousson tranny. But if it isn't stock i'd suggest a Tremec instead.

The plenum volume should be small as possible for throttle response. If the intake has a top plenum that bolts to the runner section i'd cut it down or even toss it and adapt the carbs with a half inch thick plate right to the runners by carving out the webbing to make a two inch high plenum.

Comment

I have not done any dyno testing with my current project,but I am working on a setup for my 440 inch BBC.I have a Weiand tunnel ram with a 2 pice plenum.I plan on replacing the top plate with a piece of 1/4"thick flat aluminum,the epoxy 2 super sucker carb spacers to it and drop a pair of 660's on it.I was planning on trying to mill the plenum mounting surface down a bit as well as the bottom of the plenum so that I could shorten the runners a bit and get rid of some of the narrowest section of intake runner.That all seems like a lot of work,but I may try it in the future.

Comment

What I have already done on my tunnel ram is to level the top surface so my carbs are paralell to the ground(motor is paralell to the ground)
        I cut the top of the lid apart and milled the surfaces flat. I originally was just going to keep the amount minimal so the rear ht of the lid was the same as the front ht as it came from the factory(Weiand)
        I then thought that I would reduce it a bit more(5/8 in) so if I want more volume, I would use a spacer on top
        If I want to simulate a longer runner I have been told to run a 4 holed spacer
        I have a friend who is an engineer and he told me there is an ideal taper for intake runners..cannot remember off hand (2.5 degrees or 2.5 in/ft)???? Anyway, I did not want to change the runner taper in the manifold for that reason
        my own logic, right or wrong?
        The lid however is only on an angle so your carbs sit level when mounted conventionally in a normal car. If your motor sits back 5 degrees, so the lid should be angled the same. I also wondered about the importance of the plenum volume when the lid can be so different fron the back?
        The crossover area between the carbs is what had me concerned. To put it in ways I can understand, (ie simple) having for eg a double sink in your kitchen one is full, one is only 1/4 full
        pull the plugs and you see no action in the water in the full one, while you see turbulence in the 1/4 ful sink
        I had thought for street duty, the crossover area may may the tunnel ram act like the sink full of water?
        I hope that does not sound too red neck and I apologize for my ignorance if it does
        This for an ovel ported head, larger valves and a lot of porting. I would not have as much vloume as a square ported head , even though these heads are quite a bit better than the stock versions. The runners are not going to be as large
        Tom

Comment

I've been running my Weiand tunnel ram on the street for a year now, ZERO problems. This includes running in temperatures from -25 to +100. I'm running 2 750 eddies that I modified, driving 'nice' I've been getting 10mpg. Not bad for a nasty 528 hemi. If the weather cooperates, I'm going to be testing a set of modified 850 thermoquads on it this weekend. Dave

Comment

Working...
          X