X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quickd100
    replied
    Re: Tunnel ram volume street/strip

I've been running my Weiand tunnel ram on the street for a year now, ZERO problems. This includes running in temperatures from -25 to +100. I'm running 2 750 eddies that I modified, driving 'nice' I've been getting 10mpg. Not bad for a nasty 528 hemi. If the weather cooperates, I'm going to be testing a set of modified 850 thermoquads on it this weekend. Dave

Leave a comment:

• henny496
    Guest replied

What I have already done on my tunnel ram is to level the top surface so my carbs are paralell to the ground(motor is paralell to the ground)
    I cut the top of the lid apart and milled the surfaces flat. I originally was just going to keep the amount minimal so the rear ht of the lid was the same as the front ht as it came from the factory(Weiand)
    I then thought that I would reduce it a bit more(5/8 in) so if I want more volume, I would use a spacer on top
    If I want to simulate a longer runner I have been told to run a 4 holed spacer
    I have a friend who is an engineer and he told me there is an ideal taper for intake runners..cannot remember off hand (2.5 degrees or 2.5 in/ft)???? Anyway, I did not want to change the runner taper in the manifold for that reason
    my own logic, right or wrong?
    The lid however is only on an angle so your carbs sit level when mounted conventionally in a normal car. If your motor sits back 5 degrees, so the lid should be angled the same. I also wondered about the importance of the plenum volume when the lid can be so different fron the back?
    The crossover area between the carbs is what had me concerned. To put it in ways I can understand, (ie simple) having for eg a double sink in your kitchen one is full, one is only 1/4 full
    pull the plugs and you see no action in the water in the full one, while you see turbulence in the 1/4 ful sink
    I had thought for street duty, the crossover area may may the tunnel ram act like the sink full of water?
    I hope that does not sound too red neck and I apologize for my ignorance if it does
    This for an ovel ported head, larger valves and a lot of porting. I would not have as much vloume as a square ported head , even though these heads are quite a bit better than the stock versions. The runners are not going to be as large
    Tom

Leave a comment:

• RichSchmidt
    replied

I have not done any dyno testing with my current project,but I am working on a setup for my 440 inch BBC.I have a Weiand tunnel ram with a 2 pice plenum.I plan on replacing the top plate with a piece of 1/4"thick flat aluminum,the epoxy 2 super sucker carb spacers to it and drop a pair of 660's on it.I was planning on trying to mill the plenum mounting surface down a bit as well as the bottom of the plenum so that I could shorten the runners a bit and get rid of some of the narrowest section of intake runner.That all seems like a lot of work,but I may try it in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Tom P
    replied

I think you want to make sure to call it a "Facel" and not just a "Vega" ...it's a status thing.

I think Hemmings or eBay are the first places to look for the Pont-a-mousson tranny. But if it isn't stock i'd suggest a Tremec instead.

The plenum volume should be small as possible for throttle response. If the intake has a top plenum that bolts to the runner section i'd cut it down or even toss it and adapt the carbs with a half inch thick plate right to the runners by carving out the webbing to make a two inch high plenum.

Leave a comment:

• Falcon67
    replied

I love these tests, but since I run 351Cs the results mean squat when you look at a 351C-4V. Someday, I'd like to fill the runners in a 4V tunnelram to match the Parker port fillers in my heads and run a dyno test.

To the original question - you'll get a little more response removing plenum volume but probably not enough to make a difference. Runner size and velocity is what you'd have to work on, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• RacerRick
    replied

Yes on the 383 with two fours. I believe it was from 58-62 or something like that. 300's, D500's, and Fury's I believe were the only ones that could have them first, they they were a sort of hidden option on everything. It was rated at 343hp and was quite popular in certain super stock classes. I remember a couple of 62' Dodge wagons that were running superstock with a 383-343hp engine. Its the highest rated 383 ever I believe and had the 300's heads.

I like tunnel rams....I just like flat hoods more

Leave a comment:

• Eric68
    replied

That's funny,

I learned all my foreign language skills in the Navy. My vocabulary mostly consists of words used when ordering drinks. Vin rouge, Vin Blanc, Bier, Cervesa, etc. If someone stuck you on a submarine and went underwater for 60 days that's what you would learn when you pulled into port too so don't laugh . . . ;D

What was this thread about anyways?

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

Expensive too. Incomplete ones are getting 60-70 grand here in LA.

Keith I said "I don't speak french" in french. Actually, I took it for three years in high school. Could speak it well enough for the Parisians to put up with me when I was there. Haven't it spoken hardly at all since moving to Cali. I should've taken spanish. I do have fun screwing the car wash guys asking them to clean the wheels in french. "Que?"

Leave a comment:

• VWMMP
    replied

The Facel Vega was supposed to be a great car. My uncle who had a penchant for different cars (including a collection of studebakers ) had a line on one of these but passed away before he could get his hands on it. They started with small hemi 1958-62 then had a 383 or 413 wedge in 61-64.

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

That's sick.... and you speak french too?

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

Je ne parle pas francais aussie. Parle vous A833?

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    replied

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
    Did Chrysler ever have a dual four 383 in a American car or one rated at 400 hp?

I don't suppose any of you guys know where we can get another Ponte Mousson 5 speed?
    Yes on the dual-quad 383. Early '60s Chrysler 300s, I think.

No clue on the trans. No habla francais.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

I was reading the article today and I have a question of sorts. My buddy has a 62 Facel Vega. It's a french built hot rod with Chrysler power. It's really rare, like only 200-300 built over five years. The 57-59 models had dual quad 392 Hemis and Gregg's has a 383 with dual fours rated at 400 hp. It has a Torqueflite behind it now, but originally had a Ponte Mousson 5 speed stick.

Did Chrysler ever have a dual four 383 in a American car or one rated at 400 hp?

I don't suppose any of you guys know where we can get another Ponte Mousson 5 speed?

Leave a comment:

• mopower58
    replied

That was a very good article. I just sold a 440 weiand tunnel ram.

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    replied

Pretty sure all the numbers are in the charts in the story.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X