Engine identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine identification

Long story short, I was told my '82 Blazer has a 305 in it from some mid 80's suburban... It has very little power, it's got centerbolt v/c's on it, has v-belts and a small serp for the alternator, RH dipstick, has a knock sensor, and is a one piece rear main seal motor (I just crawled under it and looked). I have always just assumed it's a 305.

Out of curiosity, I just got a scraper and some carb cleaner to look at the engine ID pad behind the alternator. The numbers are V0806CKH.
    Flint, Aug 6th... ok, fine.
    CKH, according to two different websites say it's either a '72 307, a '73 350, or a '74 350 ??? I am absolutely certain that I read it correctly, it's clean and crystal clear now.

The second set of numbers, stamped upside down on the same small pad are
    /HR/ 000 59

The slashes may be 1's, and the 59 isn't stamped in the same font... it almost looks hand etched.

Any idea what I've got?

Re: Engine identification

1HR100059 would be the partial VIN for a 1987 chevy car built at Arlington, which is where they built the full size cars.

I don't have engine code listings for the 80s.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

rh dipstick? it's not from the 70's .. you'll need to look behind the drivers head on the block for 5.0 or 5.7 L
      a quick but unreliable check is to grab behind the balancer. if it's solid it's a 350 balancer and if it's cut out it's a 305 balancer

Comment

I'm pretty sure he means RH looking from the front. Driver's side, in other words.
        You're right about the CKH either being the 307 from the X-bodies or a 350. Either of the 350s that were CKH engines were low horse power, both under 175, I think. (I only know the CKH code because it would have been the original engine in my Ventura and I remember seeing that it also was put on 350s in 73 and 74.) Finding the year would definitely help.
        I don't want to tell squirrel he's wrong about the VIN thing, because he's never wrong.
        However, I'm beginning to think you might have to pull a head to find out for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
          rh dipstick? it's not from the 70's .. you'll need to look behind the drivers head on the block for 5.0 or 5.7 L
          a quick but unreliable check is to grab behind the balancer. if it's solid it's a 350 balancer and if it's cut out it's a 305 balancer
          Your right on the point of behind the drivers head,1 piece seal center bolt valve covers SHOULD have 5.0 or 5.7 cast in the block.I have seen some of the first year 1 piece seal motors NOT have it(probly the earliest ones).As for the balancers early 80's 305 or 350 could pretty much have either balancer cut out or not.On the newer 1 piece seal flywheel balanced ones i think they were all solid and usually just bigger for the truck 4 bolt style.

8)

Comment

Just to clarify, RH dipstick... as if you were sitting in the driver's seat, so passenger side.

I'm going to be changing the rear bumper and working on the dent in the 1/4 (from jack-knifing a trailer) today, so I guess I'll grab my can of carb cleaner and check out the back of the block for 350 or 305.

I did look on the sides of the block up front, and 305 isn't cast into it there, as I have seen on other 305's, but I don't know enough about these things to know when, where, or why they did or didn't have this.

Comment

I climbed in the engine compartment with a can of carb cleaner and sprayed off the back of the block on the driver's side.
              GM 5.0LG

Not sure what the G stands for, but I think the rest of it is pretty obvious.

Comment

gasoline as opposed to diesel, I think.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

305 g stands for GUTLESS lol

Comment

Gutless, it is!

I'm looking forward to putting the 350 in there... let me re-word that. I'm looking forward to having the 350 in there.

Comment

come on it is just a truck with tons o room do a late model f body!

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
                        come on it is just a truck with tons o room do a late model f body!
                        Ha! You're right, but no thanks.

Comment

Looks like the motor is out of a 1987 Monte Carlo. It's a LG4 and not a L69. Only G-bodies were built in Arlington in 1987 so it narrows down that it is from a MC and not a Caprice. The letter G cast into the block probably means the mold was made during the 86 run. G equals 1986 and H equals 1987 on GM's cryptic calendar. :D

Comment

Cool. Sounds more valuable, coming from a Monte Carlo... anyone wanna buy it? It only smokes when you fire it up in the morning, when you give it gas, and when you let off the gas... other than that, it's a great little tired engine.

Comment

Working...
                            X