Mopar 340 Intake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mopar 340 Intake Question

If Im not mistaken, there was an LD4B also which worked quite well.

Comment

That's correct. It was early than the LD340. I think the planes are swapped on the two intakes, but I'm not certain.

Comment

Yea, I think you're right Dave.

One of those 2 intakes, you could mill the dividing wall away, or something to that effect.

I need to look in the old DC engine manual for that.

Rick

Comment

"My favorite stock intake is the 50 lb cast iron high rise Qjet manifold on the early 396s."

Your not serious about that are you?

Comment

yeah, I'm serious....you should see the look on their faces when I open the hood...

An extra 20 lbs on a 4000 lb plus truck doesn't really matter.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by HillbillySailor
              I've done a tune up. Replaced the plugs (she likes autolites) and wires, replaced the distributor cap and rotor, and installed an "orange" ignition box. Haven't played with the springs inside the distributor yet, and I haven't been able to check the timing. My timing light is busted and he doesn't have one. > She's also running a little hot. That's one of the reasons why I want to check the timing. Once I make sure the timing is okay, I want to flush his radiator and put a cooler thermostat in it. He has a 195 degree thermostat right now. I've told him he needs to step that down to at least 180, but he hasn't bought one yet. I've already replaced the water pump when his crapped out, so I know that's good. Speaking of timing, do any of you guys have a recommendation as far as what I should set the initial timing to, or should I go with what's in the book? I usually go with what's in the book, but I know there are some Mopar gearheads around here that might have some info I don't. He's already running high octane fuel, so I want to be able to take advantage of that.
              My first post.

HBS This quote from you tells me what is wrong with this 340."Haven't played with the springs inside the distributor yet, and I haven't been able to check the timing". I would be willing to bet that this engine has the 484 284 MP cam in it. It is a popular cam. But even if it is not the low vacuum tells me that it has to have a lot of initial timing.If the distributor is stock, there is no way that you can have the initial correct and the total correct at the same time without closing up the advance slots.It is advancing too much right now causing the pinging.Fix the distributor first.Barry

Comment

Working...
              X