Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a gear set for my jeep

heres the setup,

my cj5 has too low of gears. 4.56 i believe.the jeep has a 350 chevy, T18 trans, and a T20 transfer case. I run 35" tires. i live in Dallas where it seems everyone is in a pretentious death race to mall. I would like to be able to cruise at about 65-70 comfortably.

Now comes the honesty factor

I street race this thing (street light run-ins) and have a bit of a reputation to uphold. I dont want to hurt my off the line performance (and shes sneeaky). I have a potent little saki maker here and theres a lot of rice to be had. Im open for suggestions. im willing to suffer a *little* on the freeway top speed. slow lanes are more fun with the top down anyway, but on the other hand (this is where i eat my cake too) i need to be able to make a flight on time and that means breakin the law.

To the best of my knowledge an over/under drive of any kind wont fit.
    My Trans is a 4 speed but i only use 3 cause 1st is so low that it doesnt drive, it oozes. i use to walk next to it in idle holding the steering wheel driving over stuff. god ill miss that dumb trick. once i slipped and fell and it continued blindly towards my neighbors NSX, luckily i caught it in time. im a jackass too

thanks for the input
    thats what she said

Re: Help me pick a gear set for my jeep

try this calculator

This calculator is designed to give you a rear end gear ratio.

Enter your tire size, rpm you want to cruise at, and cruising mph, and it will tell you the gear ratio you need.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

that calculator is a lot better than the one i was using. i plugged my stuff in and it told me 3.72. if i was taking my jeep to the track and trying to lay down the best numbers possible, i would want to pick a gear set that "runs out" right as i cross the line. is there a calculator for that? i know I'm being ridiculous now but Ive been living with an improperly chosen gear set for a while and i want this to be my last gear swap in the jeep.

Comment

to figure out the optimum gear for drag racing, you need to know about what your trap speed will be. My guess is that 3.73 will be not nearly enough gear for drag racing...if you keep the 35" tires on it...but if you get some "normal" wheels/tires for drag racing, then you can swap them out and 3.73 would be close.

Going from 4.56 to 3.73 will be quite a difference, you'll love it on the highway, but you'll really lose a lot off the line.

My fabulous web page

Comment

i went back to the calculator and lowered the mph to 65 and it gave me 4.00, do you think this would be a good compromise? the gearing is low enough now that i run out usually before the next light. because of this im thinking it might actually improve 1/4 mile times. honestly i dont get to spend as much time at the track as i would like. most likely the jeep will never see track time so im picking this set based off 35" tires. one good thing about the mud terrains is they hook up pretty good, simply because they're so big.

Comment

First thing would be to make sure exactly what ratio you have now....

The only experience i have with anything close to that is with 31" tall tires, 3.73 was ok on the higway (no overdrive) and not bad in town, 3.07 was a real dog.

4.11 would probably be a reasonable ratio to run with 35" tires. Going from 4.56 to 4.11 gives you a 10% decrease in engine rpm at any specific vehicle speed.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
            X