Intake Manifold question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Manifold question.

I'm switching my Buick 455 over to a multi-port fuel injection system and am looking for an appropriate intake manifold to use. Naturally there are few choices for Buick manifolds and only one that I can find with injector pads set up to be drilled for injectors. So my question is would this intake behave alright as a daily driver intake? The range is for 4,000-6,500rpm, which I may use up to 6,000. The fine print warns of fuel puddling in the intake at slower speeds but I figure with the EFI that wouldn't be much of an issue.

I haven't pick a cam yet, but it will be more aggressive than my current one (Isky .450lift 256*Adv 202*@.050 112LSA) which with a stock intake manifold and 800cfm Q-jet starts pulling vacuum at WOT around 4,500rpm. Buick 455's are 4.312" Bore x 3.90" Stroke. I will be enlarging the valves to Stage 1 Specs of 2.120" Intake 1.745" Exhaust. The car will be my Skylark with a 5-speed trans so the down low torque can suffer a tiny bit ;)

The one I'm looking at with the Injector ports and questioning the use of:

My alternative options are to buy the SP1 (http://taperformance.com/SP1Intake.htm) or an Edelbrock intake and make something work and deal with the throttle linkage bracket support being in the way.

So would the SPX intake be reasonable for a daily driver or will the air velocity be too low for my daily use? Thanks.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: Intake Manifold question.

I think you will find way less air speed problems from the intake, because you do not need the signal sent to the carb to make the low pressure for it to work right with the EFI I would use a single plane with "good line of sight"
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

A single plane with pads for fogger type NOS setups usually works the best. A nice big throttle body on the carb pad. Drill and weld injector bungs, add fuel rails and go.

I want to do this setup on my sbc 383. Hopefully, I can learn a few things watching you do it.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
        I think you will find way less air speed problems from the intake, because you do not need the signal sent to the carb to make the low pressure for it to work right with the EFI I would use a single plane with "good line of sight"
        The SPX should have a good line of sight, and with the injector just a few inches up stream from the valve should do the job....or so I'm thinking.

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
        A single plane with pads for fogger type NOS setups usually works the best. A nice big throttle body on the carb pad. Drill and weld injector bungs, add fuel rails and go.
        Pads for a Fogger System? Maybe for a Chevy :P The SPX manifold is the ONLY one I've found set up with pads to be drilled as cast (any one know of any other by all means let me know!). I already have an Edelbrock Performer I've studied a bit for drilling and welding injector bungs too, but the #7 injector placement interferes with the throttle linkage mount, which can be worked around but if I can find a ready one all the better. I'm going with a 1,000cfm throttle body so it should be happy ;D

Comment

Add the bungs who cares about pads lets start drilling :o

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
            Add the bungs who cares about pads lets start drilling :o
            Ok, think then I should go with the SP1, since it is designed for a Buick engine and at least claims to help down low as well as up high?
            (I got two 455's, the performer will still have a home ;) )

Comment

when switching to efi those numbers the manifold is rated at dont mean shit. a single plane is the best to go with though. if you look at edelbrocks efi manifolds they are all base off of the carb manifolds just single plane and drilled for injectors. i have done some work with these manifolds.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway
                when switching to efi those numbers the manifold is rated at dont mean shit. a single plane is the best to go with though. if you look at edelbrocks efi manifolds they are all base off of the carb manifolds just single plane and drilled for injectors. i have done some work with these manifolds.
                So are you saying the manifold with the larger plenum volume would work the same as the one with the small plenum volume since they are both single plane? I think that is going to be the main difference between the two I've been looking at (SP1 & SPX). If I have that wrong, which numbers are you referring to? At the GoodGuys car show the Edelbrock sales guy humored me by looking for an EFI intake for a big block Buick :P

Comment

You are looking for a nice tall straight runner, the intake is not as critical now, because you are not looking for a signal to the carb to make a low pressure area to get fuel moving at the right time and amount. For the most part all the runner stuff and plenum is carb driven "signal", no carb, not as big a deal your moving air not fuel, but air does not like to turn still so blend the plenum right to move more air, that does not mean make it big, nice tight but sweeping turn to the runner "line of sight"

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                    Originally posted by shaun callaway
                    So are you saying the manifold with the larger plenum volume would work the same as the one with the small plenum volume since they are both single plane? I think that is going to be the main difference between the two I've been looking at (SP1 & SPX). If I have that wrong, which numbers are you referring to? At the GoodGuys car show the Edelbrock sales guy humored me by looking for an EFI intake for a big block Buick :P

lol...sales guys you got to love em...i am referring to the rpm range, if a manifold is rated 3500-6000 you can basically forget about the 3500 rpm number this would be if a carb is on it. with efi you are tunning all your rpm ranges from idle all the way up, you cant really do that with a carb. yes i know there are some of the edelbrock efi manifolds that give you a xxx-xxx rpm range but that would be a misprint.

Comment

Ok, from what I'm getting from this is the plenum design is not as important with a multiport efi system as it would be with a carburetor as the injector is so close to the intake valve and doesn't rely on a vacuum signal. The power band number, at least the lower one isn't as important either now since it's tuned over the whole rpm range. Looking at the two intakes, with only a $20 difference it will be easier to get the SPX one with the injector pads already there, TA will probably even drill and prep them for injectors (since the intake is part of an EFI kit they offer). So far so good, anyone else have any thoughts? (or anymore Shaun and Jeff?) Thanks for the information guys.

Best part is you know it's for a Buick since on the feature list has Port for Vacuum Brakes and Upper A/C bracket mounting boss, got to have A/C and Power Brakes :P

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                        Ok, from what I'm getting from this is the plenum design is not as important with a multiport efi system as it would be with a carburetor as the injector is so close to the intake valve and doesn't rely on a vacuum signal. The power band number, at least the lower one isn't as important either now since it's tuned over the whole rpm range. Looking at the two intakes, with only a $20 difference it will be easier to get the SPX one with the injector pads already there, TA will probably even drill and prep them for injectors (since the intake is part of an EFI kit they offer). So far so good, anyone else have any thoughts? (or anymore Shaun and Jeff?) Thanks for the information guys.

Best part is you know it's for a Buick since on the feature list has Port for Vacuum Brakes and Upper A/C bracket mounting boss, got to have A/C and Power Brakes :P

that is correct, you are on the right path. what efi kit are you usin post link or forward link to me.

Comment

I've got an MS2 assembled (running into a few minor first time issues :-\, but progressing) and am working from there. Looking preliminarily at 24lb/hr injectors@60psi. Haven't decided on the Throttle Body yet (basically looking for a good deal on one with an IAC), and an Innovate WBO2 system.

Comment

check this one out, 1000 cfm includes a hitachi pwm iac and a gm style tps, part number 39783 and i know a guy you can get it from. they cost about $490, the pwm iac will work with the MS

Comment

Yeah I've been looking at the ones in the summit catalog and that is about the going rate for them. I've been watching E-bay for one to come along at the right price (found a 600-cfm TBI I picked up for my T-bird later), so it will be one of the last things I buy because of price ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X