351W "build"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351W "build"

Ok guys I have a 77 SWB F100 im currently toying with it got a 351W and C4 would like to pep it up a good bit.Just would like some opinions on the setup maybe even h/p guesses.

truck probly weighs in the area of 4k

75 351W stock shortblock (low mile good compression and oil pressure)

Aluminum heads with 175cc intake runner 2.02/1.60 valves

preformer RPM air gap intake

Cam specs
    LSA 110*
    Lift: .522''/.538''
    Duration: 268°/276°
    RPM Range: 1800-6200

Will probly run a 750 double pumper and a red pump

2500 stall and a 4.10 gear

may hit it with a lil shot of juice if needed id like it to run some mid to high 7's in the 1/8th

Re: 351W "build"

do you know the combustion chamber cc? that block is most likely a low comp(8:5.1). 58cc heads would really wake it up some and go good with that cam profile. with that heavy of a truck a vac. secondary with the standard or purple spring *might* be better. if i had to guess, 300-350 hp and somewhere in the 325-375 foot-pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by thevic24
      do you know the combustion chamber cc? that block is most likely a low comp(8:5.1). 58cc heads would really wake it up some and go good with that cam profile. with that heavy of a truck a vac. secondary with the standard or purple spring *might* be better. if i had to guess, 300-350 hp and somewhere in the 325-375 foot-pounds.
      60cc

Comment

that should be a good set up, just keep in mind that 351w's have heavier than usual rod caps so sustained hi rpm(over 6500) isnt good unless you can get lighter caps. it is a very strong bottem end though so you can juice it good. good luck and let me know how it comes out.
        -vic

Comment

that should be a good set up, just keep in mind that 351w's have heavier than usual rod caps so sustained hi rpm(over 6500) isnt good unless you can get lighter caps. it is a very strong bottem end though so you can juice it good. good luck and let me know how it comes out.
          -vic
          Im going to try to keep it below 6500 probly 6250 tops

Comment

that will be just fine. i rev mine to around 6500 every now and then but i have alumnium rods that were way expencive and i probly didnt need them but owell

Comment

Rev it, man! If it doesn't hold up, it wasn't meant to be and it's time to build another.

Sure, It's easy to spend another's money. ;D

I rev my cast bottom end short bock SBC to 7000 at times. A Ford can take that, can't it? > ;D

Comment

:

I would step up to a slightly larger port volume, but I see no reason
                why it shouldn't make close to 400hp.

Comment

Got the trans in today this converter is a lil looser in this truck flashes around 2,800 ordered the gear today also went ahead and got a 4.30 for it since it has some tall tires

Comment

good deal, hows the motor run?

Comment

As it sits the motor is pretty stock with a 600 holley with longtubes the converter seems to have helped some but shows the lack of gear it has currently weather hasnt cooperated to verify a gain or loss. I ordered the cam today and am working a deal on the heads hope to finish this project up in a couple weeks or so im trying not to get in a real big rush with it as im trying to take the time to clean up and paint some things also.

Comment

I alomost identical set up my wagon,except run 650 carter,made 317hp/322 tq at the wheels on dyno,gets 20mpg hwy in 3500# sled.

Comment

That's about right.

That is a nice combo.

Comment

Originally posted by SleeperT-Bird87
                            As it sits the motor is pretty stock with a 600 holley with longtubes the converter seems to have helped some but shows the lack of gear it has currently weather hasnt cooperated to verify a gain or loss. I ordered the cam today and am working a deal on the heads hope to finish this project up in a couple weeks or so im trying not to get in a real big rush with it as im trying to take the time to clean up and paint some things also.
                            was able to get some verification of a gain with the trans and converter swap using my gtech unit

previous
                            11.20@66

current
                            10.36@67

So it seems im making forward progression now i just need to finish collecting a few parts.cam should be here tuesday

Comment

excellent, its moving in the right direction 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X