Hydraulic Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic Press

I've lived 44 years without owning one, but I'm tired of beating bushings out. I see I can get up to a 50 ton air/hydraulic press.... I think that might be a bit much - so what do you have?

(okay, maybe I exagerate a bit, I used to use a 200 ton press brake when they got this tough, but don't think I can sneak it out of my dad's shop under my coat next time I'm down in Portland.... :P )
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Re: Hydraulic Press

i have a medium sized kind of cheap press with a big bottle jack. works fine. i usually pound bushings in though
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

At work they traded up to a 50 ton from a 20 ton. Way overkill for most things automotive
      Donna
      Williamston, MI
      Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

bottle jack deal at my shop too - I think it's a 20 but I don't remember - its' done everything I've asked it to do.
        Makes quick work of wheel studs, bearing races, etc.

The worst part usually is finding a proper piece of pipe / etc to do the pressing with, I've cut slits in a lot of old bearing races, and flipped them upside down to press the new ones in place - that works pretty good.

If you have room to get to it - an air hammer is the fastest easiest way I know to get bearing races out - not much help with bushings tho.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I have the mid size HF unit - 12 tons, I think. It presses out most everything but sometimes it does take a little heat. I just press on whatever then heat it and POP it comes out.

Bearing race trick from my short career in heavy equipment (assumes you can access the race). Run a bead of weld around the inside of the race. When it cools it will shrink and release the pressed fit. Don't worry about the quality of the weld!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by redragtop
            At work they traded up to a 50 ton from a 20 ton. Way overkill for most things automotive
            I miss Loren's "Will it crush" threads :'(
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

^^^ Me too

IMHO - they were more entertaining than the "will it blend" videos.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The HF special is plenty for most home shop guys. I've had a couple different ones, and made a lot of my own press tools. A couple easy ones that are a must have on control arms and such cost almost nothing.

Must haves:
                ---2-4" long .125 wall tubing in various diameters to press stuff "into" on the backside. They can also be used to push bushings out.
                ---.125 wall tubing in a few diameters that is then cut in half lengthwise to put into stock control arms so they don't crush when you press things in or out of them. This need to be cut after measuring your arms, but are easy to do.

You also want to make your own fixtures. They are easy and you can make stuff very easy and cheap. Get some heavy wall, .250 is good, tubing that will just slide over the bar that does the "pressing". If you get several pieces, you can weld flat plate onto them or angle iron or whatever you need. The big thing is to make one so that you can have a bigger "pad" to place against your bushings and such. You can make one that is a longer tub and let parts get pressed, up into it as well. Be creative. A few minutes with the welder and you will be able to make a lot more stuff with your $200 press than you would think. It is really easy to whip up your own cheap press brake using one of these.

To keep any of your fixtures from falling off the bar while trying to load it, drill a hole in your fixtures tube and tap it for a set screw. All it needs to do is keep it from falling off. I've done several different retention methods, so try it out.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad
                  It is really easy to whip up your own cheap press brake using one of these.
                  Picture? Plans?
                  Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

one of these days I need to take some pictures of my dad's shop... same thing as those dies only a bit larger.... and costlier.... yours are very nice.

I'm tempted to buy the HF 3 in one brake - but then put a 1 or 2 hp motor on it.... call it one of those bucket list things

The immediate need for the press has diminished, so it's back to #2... right now I need a lathe

Comment

3 in 1 brake is not good for much at all....there is a thread about it on the hamb, amazing how many people say it's junk.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The 3n1 break is not as bad as the forums say it is. It isn't very good at 18 ga but it will do 19ga. The disclaimer is I tore mine completely apart and reworked every moving part. I also added some metal and adjusters to the break.

Steve
                          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

I have no expectations that the mechanics are anything but junk; however, a set of precision ground, sheet metal dies is more expensive then that entire machine.... If I buy from HF, I expect to have to rework it.

Comment

Working...
                            X