Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coil-on-Plug Coils

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
    I keep thinking of going to a distributorless ignition in the Skylark, then going to a points distributor just to turn the oil pump (or see if a 3.8L cam sensor can be modified for that duty). My hang up is actually making or mounting a trigger wheel. I have no fabrication skills or junkyards near by to start pirating trigger wheels. The TA timing cover comes with a threaded mount just for holding a trigger wheel sensor bracket though.

The OHC Pontiac engine I'm 90% certain I'll be going distributorless ignition on that too.
    The 3.8L Cam sensor "should" work since the common HEI swap for the BBB is to get a later 350 unit and swap the gears. I don't have any spares or I'd loan you one.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
      I keep thinking of going to a distributorless ignition in the Skylark, then going to a points distributor just to turn the oil pump (or see if a 3.8L cam sensor can be modified for that duty). My hang up is actually making or mounting a trigger wheel. I have no fabrication skills or junkyards near by to start pirating trigger wheels. The TA timing cover comes with a threaded mount just for holding a trigger wheel sensor bracket though.

The OHC Pontiac engine I'm 90% certain I'll be going distributorless ignition on that too.
      The 3.8L Cam sensor "should" work since the common HEI swap for the BBB is to get a later 350 unit and swap the gears. I don't have any spares or I'd loan you one.
      Can I have your only one ;D j/k. I'm going junkyarding this weeking in So. Cal. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one. You should see the crazy one someone made for a sequential XFI system on a Buick over on my distributorless ignition thread on the V8Buick.com board. Used a 12 point 7/8th socket with the 1/2" drive part cut off, then slid over the points cam, a hole with a locking screw and a welded on tab filed to .030th gap on an MSD pick up bolted in place of the vacuum advance. It looks stone age, but I'm digging the ingenuity of it.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

are you just wanting 4 or a 36 and one?
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

36 for preference? I don't have any real basis for comparison or wants.

Comment

I have a Holley crank trigger wheel you can have. Its a 4 mag one its just the wheel if it will help out
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Hmm, what diameter? 8" ones hit the water pump pulley if mounted behind the crank pulleys. Hmm, I probably need an aluminum bracket for the sensor too? Since it's a magnetic pickup?

Comment

Hmm, what diameter? 8" ones hit the water pump pulley if mounted behind the crank pulleys. Hmm, I probably need an aluminum bracket for the sensor too? Since it's a magnetic pickup?
                Randal, fit a 36-1. this is your next step on the path to EFI Jedi mastery anyways, and your ignition system will thank you. You can runa 36-1 and still use a distributor, then later move to wasted spark or sequential spark with a cam sensor.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  Randal, fit a 36-1. this is your next step on the path to EFI Jedi mastery anyways, and your ignition system will thank you. You can runa 36-1 and still use a distributor, then later move to wasted spark or sequential spark with a cam sensor.
                  Ok. Jeff, I'm going to hold off for a bit. I'm going junkyarding this weekend to see what I can find.

Comment

on a chevy sb can you use the mid to late 90's distributor that has a cam sensor built in?

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                      on a chevy sb can you use the mid to late 90's distributor that has a cam sensor built in?
                      Now that is an interesting question........

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                        and a great reason to start reading the Megamanual so you can find answers to questions like that.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

and a great reason to start reading the Megamanual so you can find answers to questions like that.
                          I have and unless I missed it,

Comment

Did you read the "Extra" software manual?

I would suggest skipping MS1-Extra, everyone seems to have moved to MS2 and MS3 now. MS2 is probably what you need.

Anyways, I'll make it easy, yes you can use a distributor with an onboard cam sync.

Comment

I would suggest skipping MS1-Extra, everyone seems to have moved to MS2 and MS3 now. MS2 is probably what you need.

Anyways, I'll make it easy, yes you can use a distributor with an onboard cam sync.
                              Do you have to use a cam sensor with a MS or is a crank sensor enough??

Comment

Do you have to use a cam sensor with a MS or is a crank sensor enough??
                                If you want sequential you need a cam sensor. If you are just running regular ignition controls and alternating or batch fuel, all you need is crank trigger on the crank. Or a pick up coil, points set, hall effect setup distributor, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X