Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I ditch the clutch fan and go electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been thinking of going with electric fans too. My current "stock" radiator and flex fan works well enough to keep my 408 sbc cool, but I know I am going to need a more help once I install the a/c back on the wagon. Thanks for the info on the Jeep fan. That might be the ticket.

Comment

Toecutter, Instead of going electric, first ditch the flex and try a none flex -like the OE GM 7 blade, and preferably with a clutched hub.
      The problem with flex fans is exactly that.. Rather than push air when needed, the blades flex and flatten out and then do f/all. It's a bit like using a rubber wrench so it's easy on your arm when you turn it.
      ...But it does nothing!
      Last edited by BlackoutSteve; April 22, 2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

i LIKE THE SET UP i LISTED AS IT FITS IN THE STOCK shroud . and alows you to keep the very very good clutch fan , and cool between rounds with the electric , and for 51 bucks. can't be beat

Comment

The early electric fans were suspect at best... the newer curved blade types are quiet and efficient.... I have had factory clutch fans die in the past... and have often thought about the loads placed on the water pump bearing as well as the whole law of momentum as the initial power required to get the engine driven fan moving... I now understand why the factories have had success with the electrics and why the reliability isn't such an issue any more...
          if I didn't trust the theory so much, I wouldn't have allowed my son to install SPAL dual fans and fan controller/relay setup on his truck

As a foot note, we also installed a 145 amp police option alternator at the same time!
          Last edited by silver_bullet; April 28, 2011, 04:57 PM.
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
          X