Ford transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford transmissions

Do Toploaders, T5s and Tremec TKOs share the same bolt pattern at the bellhousing? Are there any other differences that would cause problems when swapping trans - input shaft length, bearing retainer diameter?

Re: Ford transmissions

Top loaders and T5's do NOT have the same bolt pattern.

The top loaders are a smaller over all transmission and have externally mounted shifters with adjustable linkages - and the shifters are farther back from the bellhousing than a T5.

T5 is a wider and longer than a toploader - and it's shifter goes directly into the transmission case with no external linkage.

I think the 3650 / Tremec is more like the T5, but with even a larger case.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Toploaders don't have the same pattern as a T-5. The input shaft on a T-5 is longer. T-5 transmissions also have different input shafts depending on the application. If you are using a T-5 with an older bell housing, an adapter is required. It mates the bolt patterns and accounts for the longer input shaft. Toploaders are pretty much just small block and big block variety, with various gear ratio changes (close ratio/wide ratio) Size wise, the T-5 gear case is close to the same size, but the shifter position is back too far for putting into some smaller '60s cars. The top loaders came with 2 basic shifter positions. Cobra, Sunbeam Tigers, 63-65 Fairlanes, Hi-Po Comets, and a few others used a tailshaft housing that positioned the shifter very close to the gearbox. Mustangs, 66 and later Fairlanes, and full sized cars used a mid to tail-end mount shifter. (I have seen some mounted on the very end, and others a mid mount) To put a T-5 in some cars, like a 60-65 Falcon or Comet, a Chevy S-10 5 speed output shaft and tailhousing can be swapped to shorten the overall length of the trans. This also brings the shifter into a stock location for those cars.

Of course there are variations of these transmissions I have not had experience with, this is just what I have learned from playing with what I had laying around.

Comment

the TKO shares the smaller bolt pattern

the T5 uses a wider pattern.

Comment

Working...
        X