Flats in drag radials.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats in drag radials.

My M/T Drag Radials seem to pick up everything in the street. Destroyed one a couple months ago and found it's replacement flat the other day. Tire guys fixed it with a plug and patch. I'm wondering if repairs hold up through burn outs, etc. I'll be checking the pressure every run to make sure. What do you guys think?

Re: Flats in drag radials.

Never tried. However, I'd trust an inside patch more than a plug.

Comment

Crow has many plugs in his and made it all Drag Week
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Well there ya go. IMO, the best plugs in the world come from here: http://www.safetyseal.com/store/autokits.htm

Comment

Ive used standard patch/plugs on my slicks, but I used a liquid buffer. Never had a problem , and been refilling with nitrogen, don't seem to leak down as fast , and maintains the same pressure much better . As the day gets warmer, evening colder. just my experience.
          Doug
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.
          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Mike Crow ran regular ET streets (bias ply) on Drag Week. Alot of us ran ET street radials and never had any problem with picking up anything other than when coming back down the return road after a pass.
            I've logged somewhere around 7000 miles (on MT DR's) over the past four years and been lucky enough to never get a puncture.

I just like to hit the large sharp steel objects on the freeway and cut right through the tire and into the hoop of the front wheel. :P

Comment

Damn Brian, now I'm not so sure I want to ride with you to Sonoma.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by goat racer
                I just like to hit the large sharp steel objects on the freeway and cut right through the tire and into the hoop of the front wheel. :P
                If I'm going to blow a tire, it will usually happen on the interstate. Last year, I was in my T-Bird and blew the left rear. I was doing around 80 to 85 at the time. It literally lifted the rear of the car off the ground, it blew so hard. I got the car back under control and pulled off to the side of the road. Man, did it mangle the quarterpanel!

Comment

i had a couple plugs in my old ET Street bias ply tires, never had a problem w/ them...even after burnouts.
                  never had to plug my radials though. CHIP

Comment

I had a nail in my Hoosier QTP tire about a month ago when there were about 2 months old. I pluged it with the plugs we use at the Dealer I work for and I went racing last weekend. It held up fine and still is. My brother races a car in B/SA and alot of the guys running Stockers told him they plug their slicks all the time with no problems. Ron

Comment

I plugged a set of MT drag radials once. No problems with the ordinary plug kit. Maybe I was lucky, maybe not.

Comment

anyone else try nitrogen yet. around here almost ever dealer and tire store push it. gotta love t6he sexy green valve stem caps. ;D
                        Doug
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

We put nitrogen in the Modified's tires. After 30 laps on clay the tires would be very hot to the touch, pressure would only rise very slightly. With regular air the pressure would rise as much as 4-5 lbs. I suppose it is because nitrogen is very dry, and compressed air is very moist. The nitrogen tank also took a lot less room in the trailer than a compressor. A tank lasted about 15 races, and we used it for quick tire changes during cautions cuz the battery impact was too slow.
                          Anybody ever try nitrous? :
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Picked up a sheet metal screw in my M/T drag radials at the Drive inn when they where a week old.I put a plug/patch on it and then raced and cruised all summer with no problems.Forgot all about it tell i read this thread.

Comment

i worked in a tire shop putting myself through a&p school. probably put in 500 combination patch/plugs (looks like a funny mushroom) NEVER had one come back for leaking. but i did have a steady stream of customers coming in with leaking plugs. plugs are fine for getting off the side of the road, but probably 25% of them leak, the problem is, for it to work, you have to get that plug in through the same damage path as what ever punctured the tire, some folks are good at it (crow) some arent.

Comment

Working...
                              X