Loud noise coming from the rear end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud noise coming from the rear end?

So this is how the story goes. I have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT, have owned it for 3 years now. The engine is a mild 1971 340, the trans is a worked over 904 automatic, the rear end is a 8 3/4 mopar with 3:91 gears. I pretty sure the rear end has a locker, I've never done a one wheeled burn out. The rear end has been noisy since I bought the car. I have not done any work to the rear end of car, it is the same as it was when I got the car.Today I got the car back on the road after I hadn't driven it for about 10 months. I got some new tires and I was "breaking them in"... doughnuts.... So I came to my senses and decided to stop doing doughnuts as i started to drive away I notice a very loud, almost grinding noise, it sounded like it was coming from the rear. So I stopped and looked around nothing looked to be leaking or completely broken. Their were drips of something next to the tire marks from the doughnuts. The drips seem to follow the tire marks..... The noise louder when im on the gas than when im off the gas. I wasn't far from my house so I slowly drove back home. I got the back of the car in the air. I inspected the rear end there was no apparent leak, and there was no side to side play on the axles. With the car in neutral I spun the rear tire with my hand and I could hear a clicking noise.... Um... so any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Is it my rear bearings? or are my gears bad? I'm a young gearhead, this is my first car, got it just after I turned 16. Thankyou for your help.

Take it apart and see what's wrong with it. Should be interesting, so be sure to post pictures. I didn't break my first rearend till I was 19, but I broke it good enough that I could not drive.
    Last edited by squirrel; May 17, 2011, 07:32 PM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Sounds like the pinion bearings........

Comment

Thanks for the input guys I'm going to start taking it apart tomorrow night.

Comment

the tick tick sounds like a broke planetary gear...I chipped a few teeth off one a while back. not sure about the drips though...
          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Lockers click all the time, especially when backing up. Designed that way.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

when i was 17 i had the shaft that locks everything in place break in half. on the fun of a rear end locking up at 130mph

Comment

I decided to just drop the rear end rather than trying to work on it under the car. Should have it out tomorrow morning. Ill have some pics once I open it up.

Comment

So I got the rear end out. Then I popped the drain plug out and nothing drained out.... So I have never taken apart a rear end before so this may sound retarded but, do you pull the axles out first our do you separate the Diff assembly from the housing first? I'm trying to get some pictures uploaded but my camera and my computer are not talking at the moment so hopefully ill have something for you guys to look at soon. Thanks.

Comment

ouch! no oil is bad. That's a tough way to learn about maitenance...

You have to remove the axles first, they poke into the differential and keep it from coming out.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Axles first thanks. I dobut that the rear end has been manitenanced since it was put in to the car which I'm guessing from the state of the car when I got it was the early 80's.

Comment

Here are some pictures
                        Attached Files

Comment

The plug on the side is the fill plug, oil should be up to the bottom of it. There might not be a drain plug on the rearend. Pok your finger down into the hole and see if there's oil in there.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Your rear brake's wheel cylinders are leaking. That's probably where your mystery liquid came from.

Do both wheels turn when you spin the pinion? If you stabilize the pinion and spin one wheel, does the other spin backwards?
                            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I don't think so....the one cylinder that has liquid on one end looks like the piston popped out, which is why it's wet. There's no liquid on the bottom of the backing plate on that side. The other side has what looks like oil on the bottom of the backing plate.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X