anyone use a viper t56?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone use a viper t56?

i put one in my car along with an electronic autometer speedometer i am getting no signal at all from the trans. anyone know the pinout for the speed sensor so i can rule out my connections thta i found on a site?

is there a way to test the sendor out of the car? it has 3 black wires. i think its a magnetic pickup. not real sure. i put the volt meter on the signal wire and turned the rear tires and got no signal. i started it up and ran it on stands and got nothing from the singal wire with the volt meter.

Comment

My T56 has a mechanical speedo gear set up so I haven't had to mess with the electronic version. Did the conversion parts go into the mechanical speed port? I wonder if there is a reluctor ring or something similar that has to be on the output shaft in order for the sensor to work properly?
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Google to the rescue (LOL)
        http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...lectronic.html

Hope that was useful.

Pat

Comment

there is no mechanical output on the viper trans. electronic only i think the sensor is bad. i have made 4 calls to autometer trying to get all my guages up and running since last week. it looks like i had the sensor wired backwards as the pinout autometer gave me, was the harness side, not the sensor side. today they told me if i did have it wired wrong, it would have burnt out the sensor. im not really sur eif thats true it is just a magnetinc pickup, but i switched the wires around and am still getting no signal. i then tried every possible combination and powered it out of the car and got almost no results. one way which is supposedly incorrect it was reading about .2 volt and there was activity but that is not enough to signal the speedometer anyway. i think its range is 2-24 volts or maybe 2-12. it was pretty hard to find a new one but i ordered one from rockauto. well see. my 5 volt regulator seemed to have gone bad too, maybe from having the sendor wired wrong, it was putting out 12 volts. i switched that out for a new one and i wont know anything until i get the new one i guess.

Comment

Well, at least now you have a pinout diagram to use when the new sensor arrives.

Reading through several other results the search turned up it seems you might also run into a problem with the pulse signal the Viper VSS produces, it does not seem compatible with an Autometer speedometer.

Comment

they didnt say anything about that out fo the 4 times i called. i did a lot of googling trying to figure it out and i did read that might be a problem, but again no updates. the speedomoter instructions say the range is 500-400,000 pulses per mile. 2-16v. well see.

Comment

500-400,000 pulses per mile sounds like quite a range, hopefully it works out for you. It is quite possible there was more going on than met the eye in the posts I skimmed over due in part to the modern electronics some of those guys were dealing with.

Comment

I'd pull the sensor and clean it.. if there are metal shavings stuck to it, you are gonna get no signal..

I'd be willing to bet the pin out and sensor is the same mopar or g.m. just a different connector..
                  p.m. spidy.. he can look it up at work..

Comment

gm used a different type of sensor, thats where everyone runs into a small problem using the viper trans in other brand late model cars. i did have the sonsor out to attempt to bench test it. there was no metal stuck to it. it was still magnetic, but i was only able to get a very low volt signal with one combination of wires it was liek .19v or something like that o nthe bench and when i put it back in, wired like that i still got no signal. i think the singal voltage should be 5 volts anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1931s/x View Post
                      gm used a different type of sensor, thats where everyone runs into a small problem using the viper trans in other brand late model cars. i did have the sonsor out to attempt to bench test it. there was no metal stuck to it. it was still magnetic, but i was only able to get a very low volt signal with one combination of wires it was liek .19v or something like that o nthe bench and when i put it back in, wired like that i still got no signal. i think the singal voltage should be 5 volts anyway.
                      it needs a 5 volt in to get any voltage signal out

Comment

i used a radio shack regulator with 5 volt output. 5 volt input, should give a 5 volt signal, right?
                        Last edited by 1931s/x; May 25, 2011, 05:02 AM.

Comment

i got a new speed sensor today put it in, and no change. now im pissed. how many hundreds of dollars on a bunch of junk gauges fuel gauge reads whacked and speedo dont work. they should stick to making tachs. im stumped. another guy is at the same point with his swap its all good on the road, and hes got the same speedo issue. hes doing a lot of homework trying to figure out how to amplify the signal. i called autometer today for the 5th time, and they were no help. i really keep calling thinking maybe one of them will try to do some research and figure something out for me instead of pulling up a file and reading from it what colors the factory harns is. I DONT HAVE A FACTORY HARNESS! today they told me the sensor requires 8 volts. i asked why i was told it need 5 volts the other times i called. no sir, it says right here, it needs 8 volts. this other guy crossreferenced the sesnsor and got the specs, and according to him it has a wide range of of input voltage but only puts out .2v. we were both able to get a .2v signal from the sensore by jumping wires around since it didnt work the way autometer said to hook it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X