Any Chassis / Frame builders here ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Chassis / Frame builders here ?

Im trying to get info on doing a front clip swap ie S10 on a 50s F100, im curious bout that route and just going out and buying a IFS kit
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Check out the latest CarCraft, they just swapped out the front frame on the Duster, it will definitely give you an idea of what is involved......

Other than that measuring and making reference points is the KEY........

Comment

yea I saw that and thats what got me wondering, there are so many manufactures selling bolt on / weld on IFS kits, then the aftermarket full frames, then the old school fabbing front clips from another vehicle onto the existing frame

Comment

other then keeping 3 grand in your pocket and about 3-6 months of hobby time, there's little difference. In short, you pay to save time. If you do a wrecking yard salvage swap, you'll spend a lot more time fussing with getting it all to fit. With the headaches I'm having doing the S-10 frame swap into my Studebaker; I do question my sanity of my original thoughts (maybe I should just run the motor without an oil filter?). I'm looking at converting it to a rack n pinion - so be sure everything clears. IMO the only real benefit of doing the S-10 vs. the aftermarket set up is you can more easily determine where you want the wheels in the wheelwells. Also, don't overlook other very good donors - like the Ranger truck, the panther platform, or even a full-size ford truck.

Oh yeah, the other benefit, you don't have to remake radiator supports or body mounts to attach to the s-10 clip
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 22, 2011, 09:40 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

the thing with the S10 is that I already have the truck, all replacement parts I can get at autozone and its going to have a narrow track width so I can just about pick any offset in wheel width I want and it will fit under the fenders

Comment

Most magazines are in business, and that means they have advertisers, and that means they are going to promote what the advertisers are selling. Don't worry too much about what the magazines promote.

The time honored way to build a hot rod is to use what you have, and make it fit. The modern way to build a hot rod is to order the parts and install them. I kinda prefer to use what's best, and "best" is defined many ways, including cost, availability, how it looks when it's done, parts availability, appropriate strength, etc. The S-10 might be the best way for you to go, if you understand how much work it is and how you're going to get it done.

You might want to spend some time on the HAMB looking at what's been done with these trucks, and see if the S-10 is the way you want to go. Hint: use google to search the hamb, since the hamb search doesn't work with short search terms (it ignores two letter and maybe three letter terms like 56 or 10)
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
              Im trying to get info on doing a front clip swap ie S10 on a 50s F100, im curious bout that route and just going out and buying a IFS kit
              Here is the HAMB thread and links in the thread about S10 swaps.

Nick

Comment

My $.02. I've never done a clip, nor am I an engineer so take my answer with a grain of salt. Just giving you my perspective. The after market kits are base on the MII. So what was so great about them? It was a cheap, small car designed in the mid 70's. Reading past posts on how to make a car handle on Mustang forums, guys who are ME's and road race say the arms are just too short. They allow the roll center to vary too much. I also do not like how they do away with the strut rod. Look at any OEM LCA. They are attached to the frame in two distinctly different locations to form a wide base. What do these kits do? Use a spacer on the lower crossmember. So you have all the stress of the lower arm going to what, a 3" wide tube? that's it? I've seen failures at this point posted on street rodder forums. I honestly can't say whether this was because of the design or builder error to be fair...but it scares me. If they stuck with the strut that attaches in a separate location, I would feel better. Now let's look at the UCA. They use slots in the hat to adjust camber by loosening the bolts and sliding the UCA for camber. So what if you hit a bump and this slips? Looks like nothing to really hold the UCA in place as I see it. No shims, nothing.

How much money and engineering resources do GM have? A lot more then any aftermarket company building clips! A lot of time and money went into the design to make it safe and last. Replacement parts are at your next auto parts store any place. Plus the S10 is based off the A body which has a reputation for handling well.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                X