Stubborn Dampener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn Dampener

I'm pulling apart the BFF for the Pre Drag Week refresh and the dampener doesn't want to come off using my usual small puller. It went on just fine when the motor was assembled with an Snap On insulation tool and I used anti-sieze on the snout as I always do to be safe.

My KD tool started to bend as I cranked down on it and the .5" 20 threaded rod(?) started to bind. I didn't want to break the tool so I backed it off the bend in still visible.

Any good advice for this situation? long block is still in car. I can borrow/rent a bigger tool, but is there another reliable method? I don't want to gall the crank or kill the $300 dampener If I can help it.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

KDTool from Kragan's? I broke two of those. I have, and use, one I got from Autozone. Worked great on my 131,000 mile 454.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

have an n.o.s. bottle handy, spray one of the parts then quickly use the puller

Comment

if you put NOS on the part you're trying to pull off its going to contract it, thats not going to get it off and I dont think you want to put nos on the crank, its going to take heat on the dampner to get it off but if its liquid filled I wouldnt do it. Best bet is to try another puller
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Put tension on the puller, then smack the damper from the backside with a dead blow hammer.

Also an old wrecking yard trick to get stuck bolts freed up is to hit the head of the bolt with a hammer a few times, it breaks up the rust and makes it easier to break the bolts free........

Also if you can get the crank out of the car, you could just use a Press.
          Last edited by TC; May 30, 2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

you didn't force it on ? aftermarket sfi dampners need to be honed to fit

Comment

Comment

Didn't force it. It went on easily with Snap On install tool. I'll try that more substantial looking tool Spidey posted if I can find it. Don't want to heat up up Fluidamper. Press won't work in car or even on disassembled crank.

Thanks guys, stay tuned...
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill Ill loan you my snap on puller , if you want to try it.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

that one is a 35-39 chevrolet kent moore puller
                    I have beefy otc harmonic pullers , from the eighties

Comment

Working...
                    X