2005 Silverado needs shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Silverado needs shocks

My daily driver (when I'm home) is a 2005 Silverado Crew Cab 2wd. I replaced the factory shocks about 2 years and 15k miles ago with a set of Gabriel Ultra shocks. Guess I should have researched more because the shocks again are shot. Looking for suggestions on what to get this time because I don't feel like doing this again in another 15k miles.

Originally posted by Page2171 View Post
    My daily driver (when I'm home) is a 2005 Silverado Crew Cab 2wd. I replaced the factory shocks about 2 years and 15k miles ago with a set of Gabriel Ultra shocks. Guess I should have researched more because the shocks again are shot. Looking for suggestions on what to get this time because I don't feel like doing this again in another 15k miles.
    Bilstiens man... Bilstiens. I've heard of lots of Chevy truck guys that put the worn stock Bilstiens back on after something else sucks. I'm getting Bilstien HD's for my 99 when I get the chance this summer, it's more than worn out the stockers at 180K miles
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

pretty rare for the blue factory ones to even wear out
      the ft coilovers on 07 suburbans though ...oy vey

Comment

I have had great success with the edelbrock ias shocks on both ford and chevy trucks. I have installed 12 pair, and no complaints from anybody.
        Now If I wasnt so cheap I would put 4 on my silverado.
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I've been leaning towards the Bilstein HD's. Everything I have been reading a lot of good things on various forums about them, but I wanted to get the opinions of people here since I have a better feel for actual knowledge level than on other forums I have found while googling for info. I'm kind of curious about what the OEM shocks were. The truck came with the Z85 handling/trailering package...whatever that means, seems to be firmer than the base suspension but softer than the Z71 available on the 4wd. Anyway, I think I would be happier with something firmer than stock, more like the F150 I had previously.

Comment

why did you change the shocks in the first place ...with junky aftermkt ones ? lol

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
              why did you change the shocks in the first place ...with junky aftermkt ones ? lol
              Is it really an aftermarket peice of the OEM units were Bilstien HD's???
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The OEM shocks (whatever they were) were shot at 41k miles. The guy at the parts store said that these shocks that I got were good shocks and that I would like them. I should have researched more, but I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Page2171 View Post
                  The OEM shocks (whatever they were) were shot at 41k miles. The guy at the parts store said that these shocks that I got were good shocks and that I would like them. I should have researched more, but I didn't.
                  Z71's I'm 99% sure have Bilstiens as OEM pieces. I've never head a bad word on them unless you count "my Bilstein HD's are too stiff for my street truck" type comments.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                    Z71's I'm 99% sure have Bilstiens as OEM pieces. I've never head a bad word on them unless you count "my Bilstein HD's are too stiff for my street truck" type comments.
                    Mine's not a Z71...just a 2wd with the Z85 handling/trailering package.

Comment

I put Bilsteins on my wife's '02 Silverado and am pretty happy with them - they ride better than the stock shocks they replaced but then the stockers had 180k on them...

Comment

Working...
                      X