X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Edelbrock Carter Carbs

Originally posted by gymracer01
    Bill, great info on the AFBs and Edelbrock Carburetors. I hate to say it but I think I'm older than anyone posting on here. I worked in a Pontaic/Buick dealership in the mid 60s and I can't begin to tell you how many AFBs I put pumps in because the orginials were leather and didn't last long and created big stumbles. Bill do you remember the Pontaics with the Big air screw in the middle of the front of the carb? That was something else to adjust. I still run a pair of the CS series on my NSS car. Have had good luck with the 600 Carter and 750 Edelbrocks. I have tried 800 Edelbrocks and have not got them to go any faster than the 750s but believe there is more there, just need to do more tuning work. Thanks again Bill
    Jim N.
    The problem with the 800s is the 1.75 throttle bores and a shotgun venturi, the 750's actually have a better pressure effect. You can crutch it with the squirters, try a bigger one, and use an agressive step up spring. Its the demon tweak that will get them there. I like the 750 better because of the better venturi to throttle bore ratio.

I remember those single mixture screw carbs. The best you can do with them is to pull the screw out and blow the discharge ports and bowl vents out with shop air before you even start. The modern accelerator pumps are a world away from the old ones for sure. I am glad to see you getting it done with the AFBs.

Leave a comment:

• gymracer01
    replied

Bill, great info on the AFBs and Edelbrock Carburetors. I hate to say it but I think I'm older than anyone posting on here. I worked in a Pontaic/Buick dealership in the mid 60s and I can't begin to tell you how many AFBs I put pumps in because the orginials were leather and didn't last long and created big stumbles. Bill do you remember the Pontaics with the Big air screw in the middle of the front of the carb? That was something else to adjust. I still run a pair of the CS series on my NSS car. Have had good luck with the 600 Carter and 750 Edelbrocks. I have tried 800 Edelbrocks and have not got them to go any faster than the 750s but believe there is more there, just need to do more tuning work. Thanks again Bill
    Jim N.

Leave a comment:

• MikeyT
    replied

That is a very nice read for sure. Thanks for info.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• tiresmoke!
    replied

Thanks, Bill, this helps answer a lot of questions I've had regarding this carb.

Think I'll go pull mine off the intake and get started on those mods.... ;D....no fuel loads today, may as well do something constructive.

Leave a comment:

• Rickracer
    replied

Of the two brand new Demons I've installed and tuned, both had machining trash in them, both needed to be disassembled and cleaned, but both worked awesome afterwards. 8)

Leave a comment:

• bbbad2dabone
    replied

Thanks Bill. That's the kind of simple info that many need. I learned 75% of that the hard way and still just learned a couple things. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• milner351
    replied

Thanks for another great post Bill.

I'm 37 and was the only kid in my highschool autoshop class that took the extra time to read the holley carburetor and manifolds book, among others, and I had probably rebuilt 50 carbs before I graduated high school. I used to work at an auto parts store (anybody remember Giant auto?) we used to get a lot of holley's returned because guys could not make them work "out of the box" my manager would let me buy them for the $50 core return fee, then I'd go through them and re sell them to folks on the side for $100 or $125 - most were the garden variety 600vac.

I agree with you 100% on the edelbrocks - they are unbeatable for a daily driver or boat - but won't make the power or be as tunable for a big cam'd race engine.

I've gotten my first couple Demon's lately - and the billet machining is impressive - I like the clear float bowl sites, they come with the powervalve protector already installed in the base plate, and the four corner idle is nice --- however -- the IDLE EEZE base plate is a HUGE improvement over the baseplate with out it (I have one with, one without) and on the engine I was trying these carbs on - the four corner mixture screws were set much much leaner than the typical 1.5 turns out on a 2 idle mixture screw carb -- I had a hard time getting the non idle eeze plate carb to idle stable, both worked great on the strip.

I have heard several complaints about Demons - some folks have had a lot of problems tuning them and have returned them multiple times before getting one that worked right -- however, we all know that it's easy to blame the carburetor when the distributor or a vacuum leak or some other problem is the route cause behind the driveability problem.

Bill - keep these posts coming - this is the greatest thing about these forums - we all learn from eachother!!!

Leave a comment:

• silver67
    replied

Originally posted by Rickracer
    Originally posted by silver67
    ......... Furthermore, I read in a magazine one time that Holley carbs that have a shooter size above .037 should use a 50cc pump. ....... The bigger pump solved the problem.
    Also, IMHO, anything over probably a 35 squirter, definitely over a 37, should have a hollow hold down screw,
    Yep my father did that as well.

Leave a comment:

• Rickracer
    replied

Originally posted by silver67
    ......... Furthermore, I read in a magazine one time that Holley carbs that have a shooter size above .037 should use a 50cc pump. ....... The bigger pump solved the problem.
    Also, IMHO, anything over probably a 35 squirter, definitely over a 37, should have a hollow hold down screw,

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks everyone. I am glad to help where I can.

It is very true that a single plane and 2" 4-hole spacer works very well. The 390 FE in my truck with a Holley Street Dominator, and 4.56 gears works very well with the spacer and an 800 AFB ( it was a 750, but I took the 800 AVS top and put it on the 750 AFB body for my 352, and the AFB top went on the 800 for the truck) It is just plain nice. In fact both of them are seamless.

Leave a comment:

• BigBlockMopar
    replied

Bill, thank you for this extensive write-up!
    I'm a Carter/Edelbrock carb-guy myself and also have done some 'stumble-tuning' aswell over time.

I've noticed that on single plane intakes, these carbs really respond to a 2" four-holed spacer, which increase the vacuum-signal to the carb.
    1" works also, but not as effective. Such a spacer would also cure an off-idle stumble usually.

Leave a comment:

• silver67
    replied

Well I'm 28 and I started drag racing my old man's '69 Roadrunner in 1998 which had a six pack. My first vehicle was a 1987 Dodge Dakota 2WD that still had a carb. back in 1996. Carbs are fun to play with. Yes, some of us under the age of 40 have even changed metering rods, jets, accel shooters, set float levels, and adjusted idle screws. I have never played with any of the bigger dollar Demons and Holley's that have adjustable air bleeds and the like. Furthermore, I read in a magazine one time that Holley carbs that have a shooter size above .037 should use a 50cc pump. I told my father about that and he installed the 50cc pump on his six pack and get rid of the off the line bog. He never noticed it when it was a race car with 4.88's. But, he did notice it when he converted it to back to a street car with 3.23's. The 9 inch T/A "J" converter is what seemed to keep it from bogging out of the hole and masked the bog. After he had converted to the 3.23's it was very evident. The bigger pump solved the problem.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Originally posted by squirrel
    Originally posted by dieselgeek
    as an EFI-only guy
    yeah, we sometimes forget that a whole generation has grown up without knowing how to tweak automatic choke linkages, play with float levels, adjust secondary opening rates, or even set idle mixture screws.

I'm 34, so carbs were still being sold on OEM cars when I was a kid.

However, a lot of the younger people that I help with EFI installs, have NEVER driven a car with a carb on it.

Leave a comment:

• Dynoroom
    replied

Good Job Bill, this information will help many folks.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    as an EFI-only guy
    yeah, we sometimes forget that a whole generation has grown up without knowing how to tweak automatic choke linkages, play with float levels, adjust secondary opening rates, or even set idle mixture screws.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X