GTO fuel tank conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTO fuel tank conversion

Okay, I hate the location of the fuel tank my GTO... and I'm done - so my first thought is get a tank, straps, and trunk liner from a 2004 Holden Commodore CV8 and convert it to the way the car was designed....

I've done the LS.com search and it seems there's been lots of talk but no one is confessing to doing the swap.... anyone here have any idea on cost/potential problems?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

TO MEET FEDERAL CRASH STANDARDS ..the new camaro tank is in a better spot

Comment

I'd leave it alone, you being a lawyer should know the risk of moving it and the worst happening..
      nevermind if you ever sell it..

Comment

y'all are afraid of the law.... really, with a bit of education, and an expenditure about the same as a nice house - you too can move your gas tank.

and actually, I thought the same thing - that it was federal regs, but someone on the LS forum mentioned that it wasn't - it was to avoid the problems that Ford has with their Crown Vics. That statement set me off on a bit of a research project; and I've not found anywhere that there is a federal reg that would prohibit what I want to do.... also, as long as I keep the smog stuff, I'm golden.... maybe it takes a lawyer to move the line back a bit

Comment

Ok, I'll ask ..... what is the problem w/the stock tank?
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

the holden tank wouldn't pass the crash test, so all the money to make the gto into the car it could've been went to reengineering the tank and floor.. and almost killed it ever coming over... one mans push is the only reason it made it..
            that and to get passed the epa testing they made the nose that almost matched the gran prix.. and IS why the first year has no scoop.
            the testing would've held up the car.. 12-16 months
            losts of compromises to get that car on the lots as fast as they did..

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
              Ok, I'll ask ..... what is the problem w/the stock tank?
              the tank was located to the trunk, all 18 gallons of it.... so you have a space about 18" x 36" x 12" in which to fit anything like luggage or such... without the tank, you'd have a decent sized trunk.

the other question - apparently in 2005, they relocated the trunk on the aussie version of the Commodores to the middle of the car. That would satisfy safety concerns (which I honest don't care about), and would help with handling.....

I wish I could find pictures of the undercarriage of the G8 and the Holden CV8 (GTO)...
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 22, 2011, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                the holden tank wouldn't pass the crash test, so all the money to make the gto into the car it could've been went to reengineering the tank and floor.. and almost killed it ever coming over... one mans push is the only reason it made it..
                that and to get passed the epa testing they made the nose that almost matched the gran prix.. and IS why the first year has no scoop.
                the testing would've held up the car.. 12-16 months
                losts of compromises to get that car on the lots as fast as they did..
                I'd leave it alone, you being a lawyer should know the risk of moving it and the worst happening..
                nevermind if you ever sell it..
                the beauty of using the Holden set up (I hope) is there would be no modifications so I could easily put it back to "stock" if I were to ever sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by stoneshrink View Post
                  the beauty of using the holden set up (i hope) is there would be no modifications so i could easily put it back to "stock" if i were to ever sell it.
                  they changed more than the bolt in tank

Comment

they changed more than the bolt in tank
                    Any specifics you can share?
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Any specifics you can share?
                        I'll see if the body shop still has the list..

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                          wow, I've never seen the Holden Commodore Nova.... must be a pretty rare car, especially here in the States.

Comment

so here are pictures of my gto up on the lift..... I don't see where the tank would fit - the plastic cover is maybe 3" under the spare tire carrier (not exactly sure why they'd go to the trouble of making it either).

Comment

I'd assume that their are Holden guys, maybe even on BS, that could take or find some similar pictures and you could assess what's needed for the swap and buy the parts form Oz either new or used? What is under the plastic cover shown in the last picture?

The other alternative is custom made tank by Rick's or one of those shops. A guy named Carl Casanova has a very cool retrofit set up using either the 2010 Camaro pump or the 2010 CTS-V pump depending on power level. Its a return-less setup. He sells his stuff under the Vaporworx name. They put one in the One Lap Camaro, a very well known first gen pro-touring car, if you were looking for references. Carl posts on Pro-touring.cm frequently and is an expert on the modern GM fuel systems.
                              Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                              X