X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover gasket stacking?

Anyone ever had success doing it?

Cork or rubber?

My craigslist valvecovers are hitting my cheapo alum intake, and I need a little more space...
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

I had to do it on my 406 to get the valve covers to clear the stud girdles... I took two of the FelPro "thick" Cork gaskets with the steel shim in the middle and glued them together using RTV, while still wet I installed them on the head and just snugged the valve cover down, but didn't tighten it all the way, then I came back the next day and tightened it up after the RTV had dried...........

Also when applying the RTV just use your finger and smear a light film on the surface of the gasket and only on the sides of the gasket that you are gluing together....
    Last edited by TC; July 12, 2011, 05:31 PM.

Comment

TC, you see RTV the same way i do...

I usually do the finger-smear method too: curious, did your method work? Any leaks?

I'm on the fence about letting them set up before snugging them down though...

the gaskets came out of the box with a weird bow in the long side, maybe just from gravity while sitting on the shelf for a while? Was worried about that bow/curve making the gasket want to squirm out before the RTV set up...
      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

[QUOTE=Caveman Tony;541475] curious, did your method work? Any leaks?

[QUOTE]

LOL, I think it's sitting on a stand in his garage....
        Originally posted by TC
        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Felpro makes valve cover gaskets in many thicknesses. See if they have something thicker you can get. If they work, order a spare set right away just in case you need them.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
            TC, you see RTV the same way i do...

I usually do the finger-smear method too: curious, did your method work? Any leaks?

I'm on the fence about letting them set up before snugging them down though...

the gaskets came out of the box with a weird bow in the long side, maybe just from gravity while sitting on the shelf for a while? Was worried about that bow/curve making the gasket want to squirm out before the RTV set up...
            Actually the 406 is in car, it's the 454 that's on the stand......

I ran them that way on the 350 that I had in the car before I parked it and decided to do what I've done to it, so I can tell you they didn't leak. And why I say not to torque them down is because when the RTV is wet the gaskets likes to move around, that is why I just snug them up with a light amount of pressure until the RTV dies.....

Comment

mister gasket makes extra thick ones like 5/16 s or so just my opinion i would glue them together with super weatherstrip glue from
              3m aka gorilla snot

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave View Post
                mister gasket makes extra thick ones like 5/16 s or so just my opinion i would glue them together with super weatherstrip glue from
                3m aka gorilla snot
                That was going to be my suggestion including using it to glue them to the valve covers so they hold thier shape while they are being assembled.
                Never personally stacked gaskets, I have glued them to valve covers because of that bow in them out of the box though.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                  Anyone ever had success doing it?

Cork or rubber?

My craigslist valvecovers are hitting my cheapo alum intake, and I need a little more space...
                  Could you post a pic?
                  It sounds like the lip on the valve cover is just to wide? maybe? Are the end gaskets on the intake raising it up to high?
                  Originally posted by TC
                  also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                  X