Bought the Harbor Freight 20-ton press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought the Harbor Freight 20-ton press

...and swapped out the rear wheel bearings on my DD with zero drama, except for the heatwave that's slowing me down...

I might actually be looking *forward* to doing all the u-joints on my truck now - this thing is absolutely awesome!!

that is all,
    -Scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Need pics ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Alright, I'm headed back out into the heat to press the second RWB & hub assembly back together. I'll snap a few. And yes, I did crush a black walnut to about 1/8" thick. lol
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
        ...and swapped out the rear wheel bearings on my DD with zero drama, except for the heatwave that's slowing me down...

I might actually be looking *forward* to doing all the u-joints on my truck now - this thing is absolutely awesome!!

that is all,
        -Scott
        I've had one of those for years, it sure makes life easy...

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
          I've had one of those for years, it sure makes life easy...
          I wasn't sure I would even know how to use it. but it kinda is self explanatory. I bought a set of cheap bearing adapters to go with it.

Comment

On the ujoints. Burn them out, press them in
            Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

press bends driveshaft ends ..use a hammer import lover

Comment

i saw the title of the thread, and saw that Spidey was the last poster and I KNEW his post had something derogatory about harbor freight or imports or something to that end....I must have ESP or do I know a man I have never met that well..

I have found that presses like this are a valuable tool...and fun to play with...we have a hand full of manual ones in the hanger and a few hydraulic ones in the other shop...love them.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

You noticed that too? LOL Guess he brings some entertainment here.Water off a ducks back here.LOL

Comment

But I have seen what spidey said happen, more than once . mostly in 4x4 frt axle u-joints.

I either burn and press or just hammer and socket them out and in.
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I'm a hammer socket guy =P
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've got a sweet old 20 ton press that has seen many years of service. There's a real collection of "accessories" with it. Assorted sockets, pieces of pipe, flame cut chunks of steel, things like that. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I do u-joints with a hammer and sockets, though. Safer.

Hm. Babylon 5. "Fasten, zip."

Comment

Has anyone ever tested to see if any 20 ton press actually can press 40,000 lbs? If so, how does one test it?
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver View Post
                            Has anyone ever tested to see if any 20 ton press actually can press 40,000 lbs? If so, how does one test it?
                            with a 40,000 pound scale. It's just the rating of the jack.

Here's some lovely math - I just read the label myself. ;)

Found a location for load cells. The 100k lb one I found was 841.00, it'd be a good start to your 100,000 pound scale.

Last edited by Beagle; July 18, 2011, 04:48 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              I'm a hammer socket guy =P
                              that's how I did my driveshaft u-joints in my truck the first time. But there seems to be no way to hammer+socket a honda wheel hub assembly :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X