Do I need to oil my head bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to oil my head bolts?

I'm installing the heads on my SBC. I bought a set of new bolts from Sealed Power that have a white coating on the threads. Everything I've read says 2 things...
    1 - Some if not all head bolts need some sort of sealant. I've seen teflon and RTV both recomended.
    2 - Oil the threads to lubricate them so you get the right torque.
    I assume the white stuff on the bolt threads is some sort of teflon sealant. Do I still need to oil the threads during installation or does the white compound lubricate and seal?

The head bolts on the SBC go into coolant, so they need sealer. If they didn't go into coolant, you'd just need to lubricate them. New bolts with sealer on them already should be fine to install as-is. So, I'd leave them alone.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      The head bolts on the SBC go into coolant, so they need sealer. If they didn't go into coolant, you'd just need to lubricate them. New bolts with sealer on them already should be fine to install as-is. So, I'd leave them alone.
      I agree - I wouldn't add a thing to the threads... but a drop or two of oil under the head of the bolt or washer is a good idea to get an accurate torque reading.

Comment

I usually put a dab of sealer under the head of the bolt.... or oil if it's not a bolt that needs to be sealed. Another lesson learned the hard way
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks Guys. Just wanted to make sure. It's only my second engine build and the first was several years ago. I did put a little RTV under the bolt head for lube/sealant.
          Who'da thunk that when you order a set of head bolts they only come with enough for one head..... Guess I'll do the other side tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X