82-84 Corvette Crossfire SBC Manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82-84 Corvette Crossfire SBC Manifold

Anybody ever deal with one before? I'd thought that I would share a project that I'm working on for a guy that wants to get more performance out of his stock manifold (keep it stock appearing) to gain what he can. These things are horribly restricted so I decided to have my way with one to see what I could do to make it better, here is what has been done to date.

Stock condition.

Notice the very large EGR passage.

Notice the restrictive port to the head.

I angled the runners back to get the incoming charge easier from above. Runner length was trimmed back slightly.

I reshaped the runner entries and kept a nice radius to them.

I trimmed back the EGR passage and now working on blocking all of that stuff off, next a little bead blasting to clean it all up before a little high temp epoxy is applied.

More progress later.
    Nick Smithberg
    www.smithbergracing.com

interesting.... I always wondered whether those things could give a cross ram manifold a run for its money. Keep us updated (or at least keep me updated)
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Will do! They say similar mods to what I'm doing can knock the ET down .3 - .5 in the quarter. It doesn't surprise me after really digging into it.
      Nick Smithberg
      www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

they work great on 327's with a aftermarket ecu and the nos hidden in the ports..

Comment

I've never really paid that much attention to those, but what you did there looks like something that should have been done at the factory. The results should be interesting.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Neat stuff - we dealt with one of those on the dyno in college - if you call dealing with it - taking it off and putting on a single carb manifold!

Sure looks like what you did should help!

Are you removing the EGR completely?
            I would think just eliminating that heat from the intake would help reduce intake air temps and help power output.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yes, eliminating the EGR completely and blocking all ends of the passages in the manifold.
              Nick Smithberg
              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

I worked with a mechanic that had an 84 Camaro with one of those cross fires. He told me that he butchered the entire inside of the manifold and started over. I never saw what he did, but saw the results. The car was insanely fast and still passed emissions.

I always wanted to try building one using the old 302 cross ram intake and a better efi computer.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

interesting. always thought it would be cool to moddify one for a multi carb set up becuase they can be found cheap on ebay

never saw inside oen though interesting
                  Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                  Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I have one I did a single carb and dual carb set up for never got around to finishing it I will snap some pics later I was going to put it on a 335 I built a few years back

Comment

Cool upgrades. Definitely curious to see the seat of the pants results.

My friends and I mostly call that the cease-fire injection setup. HP numbers were pretty anemic for those years (205?).

In the back of my mind, I've always thought it would be fun to snag an early C4 and put an upgraded engine in it. The chassis has potential and you can buy a used C4 relatively cheap.

Comment

Somebody JB Welded a crack on the water neck passage but now its fixed with a weld.

Trimmed back even more of the EGR Passage (it is completely eliminated) and have it all welded up now. Just need to smooth some of the areas out and work on the port matching. The manifold is now more evenly shaped on all four corners. Almost done with this one, on the home stretch.

Last edited by BOSSMAN; October 26, 2011, 08:17 AM.
                        Nick Smithberg
                        www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

I love this type of stuff! Nice weld on the crack too. My 175 won't cut it on something that thick. You must have some decent power going (and a lot of skill).
                          Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

It would be cool to run pipemax on it to see if you could tune the lenght of the port by cutting it back or adding to it. The taper might be helped by just cutting it off even and adding in your own runners, looks fun to try on for sure.
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich View Post
                              I love this type of stuff! Nice weld on the crack too. My 175 won't cut it on something that thick. You must have some decent power going (and a lot of skill).
                              I wish I could weld like that, had a local guy do it for me and he has a real big Miller Tig. As time goes on I hope to learn for myself though, I just know too many good welders to save on time.
                              Nick Smithberg
                              www.smithbergracing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X