Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 turbo coupe Doesnt build boost where to look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
    Revisiting this comment. Where did I say having full boost at 3000rpm is bad? All I said was, your claim that it'll happen is total BS because you never ever finish what you claim you're going to do. Alex, you're such a f*****g d*****s they should ban you permanently from here.
    just so it can't go missing,(edit from d/g)

lets see he's claiming to build a turbo v8, and well he's posted pic of the parts he's bought.. for the build..
    huummm, he's putting his money where his mouth is...
    another d/g bashing someone else post fail

Comment

to the o/p get it running, the reason for no boost will more than likely be clear..
      if it still has the exhaust converters and they are partly plugged, that cause no boost as the exhaust flow is limited ,but might not be blocked enough "yet" to limit rpm,

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
        When you have it running, let us know the symptoms.
        sounds like a hell of a plan. Weak connections (hoses), foobar i/c, exhaust leak. Very much on exhaust leak.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have allot of time with these cars and I am the only one that didn't write a book of advice ...hmm. Anyway if the turbo is shot be happy as the ihi is small and a t3 is more fun..... till the auto trans eats itself lol

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
            to the o/p get it running, the reason for no boost will more than likely be clear..
            if it still has the exhaust converters and they are partly plugged, that cause no boost as the exhaust flow is limited ,but might not be blocked enough "yet" to limit rpm,
            there is a common routine for those.. that may be it?

I drove one, and there was talk of the simple hack to keep boost...and it was unique for the automatic only.
            If I remember I'll post.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

back ont he original subject. do those cars have a waist gate? if so is the waist gate hooked up right no cracked vack lines?
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                I quit explaining automotive basics to such an advanced mind ..long ago,,,you my little friend , should check your ego at the door ...old school turbos used to seize up a lot ,,my guess
                yes the first turbos seize up. the oil cooked when shut down.. R N R'D tons for just that, and seals letting go..
                us dealership monkeys saw this daily

Comment

I call BS as the only Ford Senior Master here and was one of the first 400 they had and working on them for over 30 years. I worked on them when they came out till they went away. I can tell you you did not see these Turbos seize everyday, unless your just a parts changing hack. yes they had a vaccum controled waistgate it may have a cracked line or hooked up wrong.

I gave you a lesson on boost it should be easy to find the issue for him if he looks, knowing the turbo makes a volume of air ( it either does or does not) if it does, then it needs a restriction ( a bad hose or open waistgate will prevent that)

For the guys here that are dart throwers, it shows up quick, you should learn what and how to test, its cheaper and it makes you at least look like you would know what your doing.
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                    I call BS as the only Ford Senior Master here and was one of the first 400 they had and working on them for over 30 years. I worked on them when they came out till they went away. I can tell you you did not see these Turbos seize everyday, unless your just a parts changing hack. yes they had a vaccum controled waistgate it may have a cracked line or hooked up wrong.

I gave you a lesson on boost it should be easy to find the issue for him if he looks, knowing the turbo makes a volume of air ( it either does or does not) if it does, then it needs a restriction ( a bad hose or open waistgate will prevent that)

For the guys here that are dart throwers, it shows up quick, you should learn what and how to test, its cheaper and it makes you at least look like you would know what your doing.
                    ford only made a few turbo cars.. so you didn't see all that meny when new, I was at a mopar shop and they turbo'd everything.. and unlike ford 3/36k warranty, we covered those p.o.s. for 7/70

Comment

This Guy is talking FORDS and Warranty has nothing to do with it.
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I'll throw a dart here... if it doesn't go wheeeeee at all, you may wanna take a look at the turbo. Of course, if it's not running because it's dumping raw fuel out of a fuel line somewhere, then everyone's suggestion to get that fixed first sure seems like a pretty sharp and on target dart. It's hell to diagnose something I can't even see to throw darts at, could you twist the monitor a little so I take a look?

Grin. Fire away.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                          This Guy is talking FORDS and Warranty has nothing to do with it.
                          they still oil cooked the bearings, but because YOU never saw it, it never happens,,
                          why you think they stopped bolting on turbo's

Comment

COKED the bearings...

The oil COKES because yeeehaw owner drag races up to a stop and tosses it in park, yanks the keys, and gets out. Why you think they sell TURBO TIMERS?

Get used to the idea of turbos again, they are here now and there will be more.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              COKED the bearings...

The oil COKES because yeeehaw owner drag races up to a stop and tosses it in park, yanks the keys, and gets out. Why you think they sell TURBO TIMERS?

Get used to the idea of turbos again, they are here now and there will be more.
                              short lived, as they will be warranty nitemares...
                              guys will reflash, blow it up and then reflash to stock, and then cry when ford/g.m. call them on it..
                              as a p/r thing.. it'll die as the big three don't need bad word of mouth, cause you know it's never ever the end user

Comment

I haven't had any time to even touch the thunderbird. Too busy sanding, picking up sticks sanding , putting baby things together, sanding...

Anywho. For those of you who have thrown darts thanks. I don't knolw much about turbos yet just a general idea and was going to do a basic that doesn't look right check after I fix the fuel line. I will keep you guys posted.
                                Jeff
                                Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X