Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 turbo coupe Doesnt build boost where to look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 turbo coupe Doesnt build boost where to look?

Not very familiar with turbos yet and how they work. But I just picked up a 88 turbo coupe that doesn't build boost and was wondering where to start looking and what to check. I have been googling(sp) and have came up with putting a vaccum pump and checking the waste gate. Not a 100% sure I have that figured out yet but any pointers? Any other ideas on what I can check out?

I have to fix a fuel line before I can really run the car to start checking things.
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Make sure the clamps are tight on the rubber boots that connect the intercooler to the turbo and throttle body, also make sure the boots aren't torn......

The Turbo on the car is an IHI and the wastegate is internal, is your car a stick or an automatic??...
    Last edited by TC; September 29, 2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Comment

Auto. Boo.

I have been searching a couple forums trying to find some of the easier things to check first. I willl check turboford
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

How do you know that it doesn't build boost? Describe the symptoms.
          I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
            Auto. Boo.

I have been searching a couple forums trying to find some of the easier things to check first. I willl check turboford
            Being an auto car the exhaust A/R is .48, the Stick cars had an exhaust A/R of .63, all that means is the auto cars spooled quicker.......

Make sure the line to the gauge is connected and not broken......
            Last edited by TC; September 30, 2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

The PO said that the car does not build boost. He said the car runs smooth, no smoke, just under powered. I haven't had it running yet because of the fuel line has a leak. I more than likely won't be getting to this until Monday or Tuesday, possibly later. Just getting ready to start primer work on my neighbors truck and my arms are already rubbery goo!!

Ps. I did the smart thing and brought back my vaccum pump AND compression tester!! ( now if I can remember how to use the dang thing)
              Jeff
              Follow My Build

Comment

" turbos never fail "

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  " turbos never fail "
                  How about not being a douche and either offering up some real help, or STFU? SAE cert obviously means zero when it comes to anything other than guessing about parts replacement...

OP, there are a number of things that can cause the problem. If you can hear the turbo spooling up but see no boost, the problem might be a pressure leak on the intake side. If you don't hear it spinning under load, then it might be an exhaust leak (usually easy to hear). If neither of those seems to be the problem, pull the intake to the turbo and see if it's spinning freely without too much endplay (takes 5 minutes to check this). If that all seems fine, then it's time to take a look at the wastegate. There's plenty of troubleshooting advice on forums like turboford.org, and anywhere else that isn't saturated with self-appointed expert idits, like the turboforums.com website. Rebuilding or replacing your turbo is both easy and cheap if that ends up being the problem.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

When you have it running, let us know the symptoms.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                      How about not being a douche and either offering up some real help, or STFU? SAE cert obviously means zero when it comes to anything other than guessing about parts replacement...

OP, there are a number of things that can cause the problem. If you can hear the turbo spooling up but see no boost, the problem might be a pressure leak on the intake side. If you don't hear it spinning under load, then it might be an exhaust leak (usually easy to hear). If neither of those seems to be the problem, pull the intake to the turbo and see if it's spinning freely without too much endplay (takes 5 minutes to check this). If that all seems fine, then it's time to take a look at the wastegate. There's plenty of troubleshooting advice on forums like turboford.org, and anywhere else that isn't saturated with self-appointed expert idits, like the turboforums.com website. Rebuilding or replacing your turbo is both easy and cheap if that ends up being the problem.
                      I quit explaining automotive basics to such an advanced mind ..long ago,,,you my little friend , should check your ego at the door ...old school turbos used to seize up a lot ,,my guess
                      Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; September 30, 2011, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                        I quit explaining automotive basics to such an advanced mind ..long ago,,,you my little friend , should check your ego at the door ...old school turbos used to seize up a lot ,,my guess
                        start your own post if you want to bust my balls today gramps. Jesus.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

There's plenty of troubleshooting advice on forums like turboford.org, and anywhere else that isn't saturated with self-appointed expert idits, like the turboforums.com website.
                          Are you saying that the turboforums.com website is not a good place to go??

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                            Are you saying that the turboforums.com website is not a good place to go??
                            no, I'm saying that this place is full of people who see themselves as all-knowing experts that are glad to give (bad) advice, whereas he's much better off asking these questions at either turboford.org or turboforums.com

Here, all he'll get is a bunch of advice by turbo experts who have yet to lay hands on their first turbocharger.

Comment

no, I'm saying that this place is full of people who see themselves as all-knowing experts that are glad to give (bad) advice, whereas he's much better off asking these questions at either turboford.org or turboforums.com

Here, all he'll get is a bunch of advice by turbo experts who have yet to lay hands on their first turbocharger.
                              You know I have to agree with you, I signed up over at the TurboForums.com a while back, I posted what you said about having full boost come on at 3000rpm and that you said that was a bad idea and would just blow the tires off the car, the response I got from them was for me to not listen to any advise that you give, that you don't know what your talking about. They said most guys like to have full boost by as little as 2500rpm....They also said the problem with me having full boost by 3000rpm was that I probably wasn't going to find an exhaust side housing that will spool that fast and not be a restriction to exhaust flow at 8000rpm.......Their recommendation was to lower where I want my peak HP to come in and still have full boost come in at 3000rpm........
                              Last edited by TC; September 30, 2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X