Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone here used the dart iron eagle 215cc platinum series heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here used the dart iron eagle 215cc platinum series heads?

bought a set for my 383 to go in my 78 camaro project was looking to get some input on how well these heads have worked for other people. i'll be running a big hyd roller cam around .600 lift and 260 deg of duration @ .050 11:0:1 compression and a vic jr intake . Am i streching my hopes for 500 fwhp? I'm getting mixed input from everyone i ask it's been a while since i put anything chevy together i've been messing with ford stuff the past 10 yrs.

Re: anyone here used the dart iron eagle 215cc platinum series heads?

I've done almost that exact same combo. You'll hit 500, assuming everything is in order.

Comment

Oops...just noticed you said "hydraulic" roller. Not a fan of those in this application. You're gonna run 6,500-6,800 and float the valves. If you don't float them, it's because you have enough spring pressure that you might as well be running a solid, anyway.

Just my opinion.

Comment

the last hyd roller camed engine i built made 448 rear wheel hp @ 6500 but it was a 351 ford with vic jr heads and a similar sized cam. i zinged it to 7000 rpm at the track with out an issue spring pressures were 135lbs on the seat and 380 open. I would go with a solid roller but keep hearing from people how the lifters wouldn't hold up well to street driving on a regular basis. fyi my solid roller cam experience is zero always done hyd cams. so please feel free to preach on about solid rollers

Comment

I've had the same experience you have with Fords, now that you mention it. Is the valvetrain lighter? Sounds like something I need to figure out.

Comment

i would think the new generation solid rollers would live (pressure fed rollers) we beat on the ones in ours at DW and after we got back with no issues with crazy spring pressure . turbo car

Comment

i would ink the valve train on the ford was heavier larger dia lifters with bigger rollers. i keep hearing the larger ford lift works better because it has bore surface area and follows the camshaft better especialy on cams with agressive ramp rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                I've had the same experience you have with Fords, now that you mention it. Is the valvetrain lighter? Sounds like something I need to figure out.
                Ever so slightly, maybe enough to matter.

Comment

I agree with DF on hydraulic rollers in this application -- not a good idea. You could make one work, and if you insist on trying I would highly recommend beehive springs with 150-175 psi on the seat along with a rev kit. The lobe you pick will matter too, some hydraulic roller lobes are more stable at higher RPM than others.

My personal preference would be a solid roller. I can tell you first hand that the right lobe will live on the street for many many thousands of miles. I run a Comp XE series lobe with Comp pin oiling lifters. 3 seasons, 2 Drag Weeks, about 22,000 street miles, and probably 400 1/4 mile passes on the same cam and lifters. It took a little playing around to get the valve spring exactly right, but its there now. PM me if you need a specific recommendation.

Comment

Eric, have you used beehives yourself? I've found them to "go away" quickly, and the lack of a inner spring scares me.

Comment

yeah i looked at the beehives and it just doesn't look like it should work kinda scary it's like the the polymer gears for your distributor just don't know that i trust plastic for that application .

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                        Eric, have you used beehives yourself? I've found them to "go away" quickly, and the lack of a inner spring scares me.

Agreed. GM went to these years ago, I spot them broken occasionally when doing intake and head gaskets on 3.4's.

Comment

I made 600hp on a very basic 400sb with Edelbrock Victor Jr heads with a comp cams Magnum 306S cam solid lifter cam.

Surprised the hell out of me - I would have guessed 60-70hp less for the simple combo. I think you could make 500rwhp with your combo.

I think the hydralic roller could be an issue however.

Comment

personally I'd say I see a 475-480 WHP is acheivable with the Mentioned Parts the Heads are decent but they are still a inefficent 23* wedge head . Plus the rest of your Drivetrain might Change the Outcome. Id Say with the Correct Gear and Torque Convertor you'll see 11.40 ETS from a 1978 Camaro

Comment

I've run Dart Iron 230's quite a bit and they can take a ton of abuse...

What I love about them most is they flow like a banshee and cost virtually nothing... that's a hard combination to beat for a bucks down guy...

K

Comment

Working...
                              X