Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Bearings, who makes custom ones.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Bearings, who makes custom ones.......

Well I might have ran into a problem with this crank that I have, being a Nascar crank, it has 2.300 main and 1.850 rod journals, well the guy I got it from said it was turned .010 on the rods and the mains, which really isn't a problem with the main bearings since I can get those in a .010 oversize , but I can't find a listing for the rod bearings in a .010 oversize, I can find the STD and a .0001 oversize but there is no listing for a .010......The part number for the bearings that I need is (M77)CB1798H .010, but like I said I can't find a listing for the .010 oversize.......So here's the question, will Clevite custom make a set of bearings??.......or is their anyone out there that makes custom bearings, these bearings are as far as I know only used in Nascar and IRL........

child and albert

Comment

TC, that 1.85" diameter is pretty common among the engine builders who utilize the Honda bearings in their builds. There are a lot of guys out there using them in everything from superstock Hemi's (Charlie Westcott, for example) to GM LS-based engines and even in Hondas (imagine that).

Question for ya..... Did you get a set of connecting rods with this crank? If so, do you have the spacers to utilize the 1.85" bearings?

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
        TC, that 1.85" diameter is pretty common among the engine builders who utilize the Honda bearings in their builds. There are a lot of guys out there using them in everything from superstock Hemi's (Charlie Westcott, for example) to GM LS-based engines and even in Hondas (imagine that).

Question for ya..... Did you get a set of connecting rods with this crank? If so, do you have the spacers to utilize the 1.85" bearings?

Ron
        Yes Ron the connecting rods came with the crank, they are Carrillo rods, that are specially built for this application and use the bearing number that I posted, no spacers needed......

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
          child and albert
          out of business

honda bearings ? in stock in mooresville , nc ..
          call sonny bryant http://www.bryantracing.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post

Ron
            1.85 or 1.889?

I asked this the other day and didn't see if it had a response. The Honda stuff is 1.88 - have you mic'd this crank? Trusting "the guy said" gets a lot of wrong parts ordered...
            Last edited by Beagle; October 29, 2011, 05:55 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I think that may be an Aurora pin if it's really 1.85, Clevite's catalog for the number you list is STD,1 like you mentioned, no .010

What are the rest of the dimensions?
              Last edited by Beagle; October 29, 2011, 07:06 AM. Reason: Aurora IRL pin apparently smaller than Northstar / Aurora production

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA- omg.... HAHHAHAHA

Go look at the specs on a 2.0 Ford Duratec / Zetec rod bearings. Not kidding.

or better, a 1.9 Saturn - it's just a hair wider than yours, you could lathe that off or even maybe lap it with 1200grit? I'd probably do the lathe and chamfer as appropriate for the fillet.

the Saturn specs are damn close to the number you listed , with .25mm and .50mm undersizes

1.8500/1.8508 0.0005/0.0021 0.0626 1.9761/1.9766 0.8000 Saturn TM-77 CB-1840

Rod Bearing TM-77 CB-1798H STD,1
                1.8495/1.8500 0.0010/0.0023 0.0625 1.9760/1.9762 0.7550

http://mahleclevite.com/publications/EB-10-07.pdf block 18
                Last edited by Beagle; October 29, 2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks Beag's!!!!!, I'll check into that and pass the info to my buddy Rick......And your right, I should probably mic the crank and make sure the sizes the guy told me are correct......

Comment

Back in my days at F-M we made a very few custom bearings for a very few "select" NASCAR teams. I rather think those days are gone now. The market needs a custom bearing manufacturer similar to the custom piston, custom ring, custom head, and custom cam companies out there. Anybody have a water cooled checkbook to help me start it up? We'll be gazillionaires in a couple years....

Comment

that'd be sweet - cuz pouring Babbet for my yugo's turbo rebuild was a boootch:

Click image for larger version

Name:	_003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	858308

HA! water cooled checkbook. I like it.
                      Last edited by Beagle; October 30, 2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_R View Post
                        Back in my days at F-M we made a very few custom bearings for a very few "select" NASCAR teams. I rather think those days are gone now. The market needs a custom bearing manufacturer similar to the custom piston, custom ring, custom head, and custom cam companies out there. Anybody have a water cooled checkbook to help me start it up? We'll be gazillionaires in a couple years....
                        You mean like these guys.........

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_R View Post
                          Anybody have a water cooled checkbook to help me start it up? We'll be gazillionaires in a couple years....
                          So how many Aqua Dollars you talking?? What kind of equipment is needed........I can see real potential in this........

Comment

To start a low volume, precision machining and manufacturing business?

Seven figures to get it off the ground and then a pretty good funnel of money to market it and keep it solvent while you're finding customers.

Sounds like a recipe for big bucks to me.
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I'll take one set!

Serriously though, we have stacks of cranks that could be used if they were turned down and and custom bearings were used.
                              We won't ever use them though just because it's a pain to deal with different bearing sizes and the chance for a screw up is pretty good.
                              Originally posted by TC
                              also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Working...
                              X