Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Bearings, who makes custom ones.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deal!
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Did you learn anything about the clearances on the bearings for the twin turbo's. It would suck to have to scotchbrite new bearings with a perfect crank.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
        Did you learn anything about the clearances on the bearings for the twin turbo's. It would suck to have to scotchbrite new bearings with a perfect crank.
        I told him what I was building and what my HP goal was and that I was running a pair of T67 turbo's, he said he would consult with Bryant on the clearances and machine the crank to their specs..........

Comment

What did they tell you about the hardness of the final product? Harder or softer that the orginal material? I understand that Nascar cranks have special treatments on the rods and mains, not to mention custom filet radii etc. It'll be interesting to see where you land on final bearing sizes, clearances and materials.
          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
            What did they tell you about the hardness of the final product? Harder or softer that the orginal material? I understand that Nascar cranks have special treatments on the rods and mains, not to mention custom filet radii etc. It'll be interesting to see where you land on final bearing sizes, clearances and materials.
            Bill the crank came with the rods and wrist pins when I bought it, I already know the bearing part numbers that I need and I furnished those along with the crank when I dropped it off...... I'm thinking I gave him all the info he needed and it's not like this guy just started doing this stuff, like I said earlier he worked for Bryant for 14 years...... And these guys do work for guys like AJ Foyt and John Force, so I feel my crank is in capable hands...... He did ask me quite a bit of info about what I was doing and we did talk about clearances, but I told him that I really wasn't sure what I needed, just that the main journals are suppose to be 2.300 and the rod journals are suppose to be 1.850. That is why he told me he would contact Bryant and check on the clearances they would recommend...... He did tell me that I had a pretty badass crankshaft and that it would have cost about $3600 new and as he put it I'll basically have a brand new crankshaft when he's done....... I'll have to ask about the hardness, that was something that just didn't come up....He did say that if I get to the point that I have to turn the crank, that I can't turn it, I have to have it rechromed, like I'm doing know........

Also the special treatment your talking about that they do, just might be hard chroming the journals, form what I've read there are positives to it.......
            Last edited by TC; June 19, 2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
              I told him what I was building and what my HP goal was and that I was running a pair of T67 turbo's, he said he would consult with Bryant on the clearances and machine the crank to their specs..........
              Oh, sorry, I thought Bryant was someone that machined the crank for nascar. Let us know if you find out though, its really a place that horsepower gets robbed on race engines, especially when you are adding nitrous, turbo and other add on power. People thought we were nuts giving .0035 in a main bearing, but when the bearings never spun they wondered how we kept parts so long.

Comment

Working...
              X