Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has ever broken a timing chain? Namely on a domestic V8.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has ever broken a timing chain? Namely on a domestic V8.

I'm just curious how often do these things really give out? Or is it more of a stretch issue? There are some spendy chain sets out there.

So who here has had one snap? Not your buddy's friend, etc.
    Yes.
    44.74%
    No.
    55.26%

The poll is expired.

Escaped on a technicality.

I answered "yes" but I'm fibbing a bit. It was really on a Buick V6. No harm done other than a long walk one night and a chain tow back home.

Dan

Comment

The chain and not the nylon gear?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It was the chain. This car had already had the nylon gear replaced some time ago so that weak link was out of the system. I replaced MANY chain sets at the Buick dealer because of nylon failure. The failed chain HAD to be in Mom's Special convert! I'm sure it had nothing to do with me and my bros abusing the poor little car unmercifully, like tossing the dual-path into low at 60 mph for engine braking (gotta load the back side of the chain, I'm sure). Don't want the cop to see the brake lights.......

Dan

Comment

Never a chain .... only the plastic gears. Never broke a timing set with steel gears either.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I turned an aluminium cam-sprocket into a carb airfilter adapter once, but as for the original question... No.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
              I turned an aluminium cam-sprocket into a carb airfilter adapter once, but as for the original question... No.

now that the thread is hijacked.

that was clever. I used a silver spoon there recently.

anyhoo..
              I helped my brother with his 307 olds...it has been too long to remember what failed..it was timing chain /gear set replaced all together.
              and we were working quite fast.

EGR. again. last I recall to blame source.

of course..that meant cam had to go too. anyway. it is rare to break..the stretch is not.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I should have voted no, stripped the plastic off but thats not a broken chain
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Nope. Used to replace the nylon gear on Ford I6 engines weekly at the fleet garage in college, but never personally broken a chain.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

NOT V8s, but my family has had two: (both while I was in high school abusing them)

1. '86 Hyundai. No.... wait... that was when Mom ran it for 5 miles with no oil. ZERO.

2. '85 Chevy Blazer, 4-banger. Honestly, the chain just gave out around 90k. Had nothing to do with how often I redlined it.
                    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

yes but not a V8 the double roller i got for the 3800 series II in my old Grand Prix failed. thank god for non interferance

the original chain failed as well

i have also seen a few busted chains on the 4.6 mod enignes that come in and 2 5.0 explorers had broken timing chains that came in
                      Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I've never had one go out personally, but I have replaced quite a few Benz chains that broke when the chain guides took a shit........ You know how much fun it is to have 6 feet of chain jammed up in a Benz motor......

Comment

a bout as much as 4' of a chain on a mod motor i am guessing
                          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Yep, got a chain from NAPA and put it in a 5.0L Ford, it had Edelbrock Performer heads and a Paxton on it, but it was still a street engine. It lasted all of two weeks and NAPA wouldnt warranty it because it had aluminum heads. The links just snapped, and it was a double roller. I have run double roller timing chains with solid roller cams and lots of spring pressure, and to think a measly little hydraulic roller broke a chain is laughable.

That is the only one that has ever snapped. I have slipped some stock ones that had the fiber gear, but never broken one before or since.

Comment

never have broken a chain-the current MINI cooper (peugot built) 4 cylinders with the turbo streeeetch until the cams are 1.5 teeth out of time and the engine quits, but they don't break...I have seen the previously mentioned Mercedes chain broken
                              67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                              05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Working...
                              X