1999 merc sable tranny issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 merc sable tranny issue

intermit issue.. sometimes in stop and go traffic.. the tranny will act like it's in n allow the rpms to get to 1200-1500 then catch.. and move like normal and be fine.. fluid is clean. and this car has had religous fuild changes.. did it when we where at race w ends.. but only while you sat in drive then moved after sitting in one spot for a while..
    and not every time... we have the car as the wifes parents are in fla.. and it's only done it twice since then while I'm driving.. but I work odd hours and no stop n go traffic..
    no lights, no codes, crisp upshifts in every gear and down shifts.. just this odd issue like the tranny's daydreaming and then wakes up and goes..
    could the pump psi be low backing off the clutch pack and the extra rpm brings it back.?
    selniod? old age 200+k

Getting time for a rebuild. I had 2 Windstars that did that. The filter is getting clogged with worn clutch material and at idle, there isn't enough line pressure so it feels like it's in neutral. Once the engine revs, the pressure picks up and clutch packs engage. Try changing the filter and fluid. That'll help for a while.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

These had issues with the pump, as he just said...time for a rebuild.

Comment

It sounds like a busted forward piston, they crack and it will do it only when hot and it has to upshift to do it again once it has done it I think it has to upshift to 3rd to do it when you come back to a stop
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

Did a quick search on broken forward piston
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
            It sounds like a busted forward piston, they crack and it will do it only when hot and it has to upshift to do it again once it has done it I think it has to upshift to 3rd to do it when you come back to a stop
            ya it did it the worse after the 110 mile trek to the track..

Comment

So drop the subframe and unbolt the eng/trans assembly. Separate the engine from the trans and take to the trans shop. Rinse, repeat. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve HOT (how hot can a '99 Sable BE anyhow?). Not a fun project.

Dan

Comment

Working...
              X