3rd Gen Camaro Brake Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Camaro Brake Upgrades

Looking for ideas for effective cheap brake upgrades for our Lemons '84 Camaro. Brakes aren't part of the $500 cost but we're on a budget so killer Brembo or similar upgrades aren't going to happen.

We're running 17" wheels so we've got room for bigger rotors up front, the rear rotors will probably stay but we'll be doing something about the calipers. A bit of fabrication isn't out of the question but we'd like to use OEM rotors and calipers so sourcing replacements is quick and easy.

1LE rotors for the front, 89-91 IROC (yeah, I know no IROC in 91 but they still made the calipers) rears.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That's about what I was thinking. How do the calipers fit to the bigger discs - is there a different spindle or some sort of adaptor to move the caliper out?

Comment

I did that swap on the Buick that's in my picture - so I'm not sure on a Camaro... however, I can't imagine that GM would have redesigned the entire strut for the larger brake... bet it's just a bracket. The rear is just a bracket swap.... there is a drawing of one on Google (read, really simple)... but it's been long enough that I wonder if I could find it again.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Everything you need in the way of brackets can be had from this guy.

If you go with C4 stuff get the bracket from flynbye and the corvette parts here.

Here is the diagram for modifying the spindle
          Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Thanks for the links, looks like some interesting stuff there. have to try a bit of googling too...

Comment

for a lemons car you don't need the le1 brakes.. just get or(make) drilled or slotted rotors and good pads..
              you're not running martansville

Comment

Done many Lemons' races then?

Comment

Originally posted by racingsnake440 View Post
                  Done many Lemons' races then?
                  raced my 82 t/a at the glen.. the 4 wdb will be fine.. work on handle'n get the push out and throttle induced overstear
                  the early cars skate as the springs are stiff.

Comment

They weren't, otherwise we wouldn't be upgrading them... Handling was pretty decent, a little loose but good enough for now.

Comment

Before I'd spend any big money, I'd try setting up a cooling duct for the front brakes,
                      going to a more aggressive pad all around, stainless steel flex lines, and an
                      adjustable prop valve.
                      Last edited by min301; December 6, 2011, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by min301 View Post
                        Before I'd spend any big money, I'd try setting up a cooling duct for the front brakes,
                        adjustable prop valve.
                        Ya EBC Yellow stuff pads and drilled and slotted rotors do wonders...........

Comment

Originally posted by min301 View Post
                          adjustable prop valve.
                          x2 and dot 4 fluid

Comment

Working...
                          X