Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about starting a tool tech thread or sticky.............

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am stull using vise grips to remove old stuff.. open end the new stuff, when a new seat needs an extra clamp without making a mess of the new nut. Clever tool in video...and it ratchets.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 24, 2013, 08:44 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Eastwood 3 Piece Aviation Metal Tin Snip Set $19.99.....http://bounce.fatwallet.com/redirect...rums.hot-deals
      That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

I know this is a complaint, but it's one that some might find useful

If you own a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42, there are two types of torches, thus two types of consumables. One is attached the ones your buy from everywhere but Airgas, the other is proprietary to Airgas. They are not interchangeable.

I've been promised, but not yet seen, that I can convert my torch to the universal standard - the problem is Airgas only makes the parts every once in awhile so you may not be able to get the parts when you need them
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

win!
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            I am going to build a hydraulic press brake... until then, I paid $120 and bought this....

it works in your harbor freight hydraulic press

good for up to 5/16" steel bends. Which is more than enough, add this to my pan brake and I can do pretty much anything I need

I do suspect that it will do decreasing radius bends because the ends are unsupported (e.g. on a 90* bend, it will be 90* in the middle, at the ram, and 85*-89* on the ends), but as long as you center your piece in the press; it should turn out fine
            where did you get this kit to turn your hydraulic press into a brake?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Many of the products offered at Swag Off Road are an industry first. Every product is designed, developed, prototyped and tested here in Oregon & 100% proudly made in the USA. We specialize in off road products as well as unique & innovative fabrication tools. “DOING ORDINARY EXTRAORDINARY”

Comment

Interesting to get that question from John as I now have all the bits (give or take a switch) to make my press brake useful. Loren will know what this is and why it's an amazing find.

for the rest, the press brake I hauled from Canada was for stamping stuff, so it has different beds on the brake than what is normally used for forming operations. When I pulled it apart, I realized I need the adapter/riser/bed for the brake.... they're not cheap. Unless, of course, you happen to find some at a used equipment supplier. To say I scored would be to completely understate the magnitude of what I got.... I scored

I also bought a couple other things

this for $500

and this for $100

and yeah, you might have an idea when I say this - the best deal was those two hunks of steel.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 22, 2014, 11:18 PM.

Comment

time to make the press brake work
                  you can see the bed and the ram - the upper part, the ram, is easy enough to change back to one that can accept dies, simply loosen the bolts and the clamps open up to put a die in.

the steel rods need to fit in the center of the bed - it's not a tight fit, you can adjust how it centers in the bed with screws

the bottom, on the other hand, collected moisture and is not cooperating

first heat

nope
                  now soak

tomorrow, I'll continue with the soaking but also wire the motor

and there is method to my madness. I can buy an operating machine for ~5-6k, so far, I've got $1250 in this and I don't believe I'm going to need to spend more money other than equipment paint - there will also be an offset because I have about 1000 lbs of tool-steel that came off this press that I can scrap; so figure I'll get 300-500 back in scrap.

Comment

You just had to live on the opposite end of the country didn't you? Your arsenal of tooling is mighty impressive buddy - great scores all around.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I should probably start a thread on this, but it's close to done

first, why wire it hard-wire, when I can get another 220v plug in the middle of my shop?

I have no idea how Chicago got this in, but good grief it was no fun getting out

if you look closely, I had to weld nuts to the bolts to get them out....

the lower die holder is centered in this rail - on the punch version of this brake, it needs to be a table; so they filled in the space .... though, I honestly can't imagine that leaving it out would have compromised anything - however, in 1932 (when they built this), they tended to over build - which is why they're still around

Comment

Looks like a "mini me" version of the one I used to operate.. 20 foot face, formed alotta cable run boxes for microwave towers!
                        You know how pipe tends to warp with plates welded to one side? Well.. I straightened those babies without mashing the tube!
                        Lots to do with these presses ...

Comment

how much more do I need to bend sheet metal?

my dad has a 12' version of this (and actually he's closer to you than I am to him).

Comment

• Deaf Bob
                            Deaf Bob commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Depends on how thick your sheet is...
                            I would like the one you got! No place to put it nor power it..
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; March 5, 2014, 12:31 AM.

as about 1/2 of what I wrote before (and pictures) are still MIA - do I simply take a picture when I'm done, or do I do a build on it? if so, where do I do said build?

Comment

picture when done it is

so for the first time in more than 30 years, it was used it tonight...
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 17, 2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

And?....

Comment

Working...
                              X