No announcement yet.

99 Cherokee XJ Instrument Cluster F@#K!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Cherokee XJ Instrument Cluster F@#K!

I think I got this figured out, but it don't hurt to ask, maybe someone else here had this issue...

Drivin down the road this morning & the cluster drops out, airbag/gauges lights pop on etc.
    So I give the dash a WHAP! & it springs back to life, (learned that trick on wife's TJ, hasn't happened since).
    On my way home the cluster dropped a few more times, gave it more WHAPS! & it's back on again.

I did the cluster self diagnostics test (see video link below). No errors, no codes, all fine & dandy.

Jeep Cluster Test: http://youtu.be/mEeIuTWjdlg

I also noticed my windshields been leaking, & it seems to have gotten a lot worse.
    Whoever put the last windshield in did a really shitty job.
    Called the glass guy, gettin a new windshield tomorrow, no problem.

Long story short, what should I do next?
    The Jeep forums say...
    • Remove cluster.
    • Clean the contacts (tweak the pins if necessary)
    • Slather on some dielectric grease slam it back together & call it a day..
    • *Also, Check ground to headlamp switch, check ground on motor block behind distributor.

Former Chrysler mechanic friend says remove cluster, inspect for cracked solder connections... Follow above procedure.

Sound about right?

Sounds right on...be sure to check all connections and grounds.

Comment

My brother's '98 Dodge Neon's dash cluster started doing that. Wacking it would get it reading again for a bit, but with some testing by pushing it down it would make contact and when I released it it would zero out again. So I pulled it out, stuck a piece of thick cardboard between the top of the cluster and the dash and put it back together. It provided just enough tension to solve the problem and didn't cause the cluster to separate from the trim.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
      X