95 Ranger ABS/Brake Issues (Spidey?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Ranger ABS/Brake Issues (Spidey?)

My dad has a 95 Ranger 4x4 with 4whl ABS. He had brake issues with it last year. He replaced all the lines then took it to the dealer to get the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit bled out. After that no issues until last month. He pulled out of the driveway & the pedal went to the floor. No ABS light, no fluid leaking, master cylinder is full.

I'm thinking the master is leaking internally, but my question is can you bleed Ford Hydraulic Control Units without the ABS break out box?

I read on some of the Ford forums that people use the gravel road trick. They bleed the system like you normally would, then take the car/truck out on a gravel road 20-25mph & hammer on the brakes. Then they bleed it out again..

Any ideas? Spidey to the rescue?

ya , you always have to cycle the abs valves to get the air out , double check the wheel cylinders
    is that a kelsey hayes abs unit ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      ya , you always have to cycle the abs valves to get the air out , double check the wheel cylinders
      is that a kelsey hayes abs unit ?

K-H is what it should be.

Comment

we had those in the 90s , to properly bleed had to open bleeder valves with the clips and run a quart and a half of brake fluid through them , then run a function test with tech 2
        if you had an abs event with air in the unit , the pedal will drop

Comment

Did the ABS kick in? The pedal should have kicked back on him if it did. I would not head to the master cyl. it would have had to bypass both pistons. I think back in those days they had some low speed front sensor issues causing false activations no codes will be thrown I dont think.

I would cycle them in Gravel if you dont have a NGS or WDS or such
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
          X