3.1 v6 Buick high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 v6 Buick high idle

It's a 2000 buick century with the 3.1. Idles at ~3500 rpm in park. I haven't looked at it yet, but suspect it's the Lower intake manifold gaskets.

Does anyone have experience with these? Any other common areas to check?

It's my buddies wife's car, and I've already recommended the gasoline and lighter trick (he agrees, the wife just wants it fixed). The car is an utter toilet with just over 100k miles on it. They are just looking to get a few more months out of it before trading it in.

EDIT: The car was tuned up less than 10k miles ago, and the IAC was replaced ~2 years ago
    Last edited by stangbanger; December 27, 2011, 07:57 AM.

Could be a vacuum leak...or possibly a bad MAF(not likely)...is the check engine light on?

Codes??

Comment

Originally posted by min301 View Post
      Could be a vacuum leak...or possibly a bad MAF(not likely)...is the check engine light on?

Codes??
      According to my buddy it's not showing a code. Hasn't put a scanner on it though. I'm leaning toward vacuum leak as well, but would love any other suggestions as well.

Comment

great source for a vacuum leak , injector o rings , power brake booster , throttle body gasket

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
          great source for a vacuum leak , injector o rings , power brake booster , throttle body gasket
          Ditto...

Comment

Vacuum leaks suck! (Sorry, somebody HAD to say it). Are these prone to intake failures like the 3.8? That's why we got rid of ME's Buick.

Dan

Comment

A very common cause of vacuum leak on the 3.1 is the tube and/or fittings on the tube supplying vacuum to the PCV valve. It is a "T" and the rubber seal to intake or tube to PCV elbow is the usual culprits
              Donna
              Williamston, MI
              Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Vacuum leaks suck! (Sorry, somebody HAD to say it). Are these prone to intake failures like the 3.8? That's why we got rid of ME's Buick.

Dan
                The 3800 has issues with the plastic plenums. 3.1/3.4l v6's have the weird intake face angle, and(originally) plastic
                gaskets(junk), and as they leak oil and coolant as we all have seen, they can also suck air.
                Also, as SGM said, the fuel injector o-rings can get saturated with oil, or just get hard with age
                and start sucking air.

Comment

40% of the time , after intake reseal , I forget to plug in power brake booster , whoosh

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                    40% of the time , after intake reseal , I forget to plug in power brake booster , whoosh
                    LOL, I've done that myself.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                      I wish that were an option for them, as I'd supply the gas and the match! The car is nothing but problems, and probably eats more of my time than my own vehicles.

And from everything i have read, they have intake gasket issues versus the 3.8 intake itself issue.

Comment

Went and looked at it today. Ran ok. No vacuum leaks, no codes, and no gunk i the throttle body...... Couldn't get it to idle high. I'm thinking there's a bad connection/ chafed wire somewhere.

Comment

always a possibility

Comment

Working...
                          X