How do I test a wiper motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I test a wiper motor?

Single speed motor for a 1960 Bel Air...off of the car. Has a 2 prong connection. I was told it is not as simple as a power and ground because of the wiper park deal. Trying to save $200 on budget project. If it is good, I dont want to smoke it.
    Don
    "Big cars need lovin too"

I think the wiper itself is the ground when bolted to the car. Power goes to one of the terminals on the switch.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

these are power probe moments , but I use makita batteries too

Comment

Good luck with it...mine had three wires so the odds were against me. I turned the switch and let the smoke out.
        So I had to buy a new one from Newport Engineering for the Studillac. And at least it came with instructions...

I guess that wasn't much help,
        Dwayne

Comment

Any luck finding a wiring diagram for the car? It should show what connections go to the motor. Good to be cautious - liquid smoke is expensive.

Last edited by milner351; January 5, 2012, 01:19 PM.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I was told that it has power at all times and the switch supplies the ground. Yes, without the diagram I am shooting in the dark, guess I should break down and buy a shop manual. (wiring not my strong point) Was looking at the Newport motor, just spent so much in the last month on this "quick buget project" I am becoming cheap.
            Don

Comment

you were told right. the wiper motor should have a constant hot and ground thru the switch and the housing. if the motor is good, it should be in park. to check which one is the ground: on the bench, check continuity, the wire with 100% continuity to the case is the ground. the other wire should have minimal, but some continuity, as it will show some ground thru the motor winding.

grounding the motor will make it run. when the switch is turned off, the motor will continue to run until it parks. the park function has a cam that grounds the motor for most of any revolution and breaks it's ground when the motor approaches the park position. the cam is similar to a set of points, with the exception of that the switch is made 90% of the time.
              HRPT Long Hauler 2011, 2012, 2014

Comment

I think even I can understand that...Thanks!
                Don

Comment

use a #2 pencil and make it sit alone... lol, couldnt resist

Comment

Working...
                  X