Tuners Room...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuners Room...

Just noticed there were 3 really capable tuners on the boards now... ( okay 2 and Mike ... or Two and Paul... or Two and Scott )

So let me intro you guys to each other.... Scott Clark and Mike LeFevers are both Bville tuners and such.... oh wait so is Paul Powers... so that didn't work either... alright... then... all of the are drag racing geeks... so that don't help... well they all do EFI... But...

Okay so basically this is your thread to beat each other up... chat about the latest homotron running up and down the AC/DC bus Bar.... so on and so forth...

Oh and for those of us that use your services... we can find your nappy ass here...

Keith

Re: Tuners Room...

Keith, I suggest we add Bill Ballinger Sr. to that list. He seems to know more about the old-timey stuff than anyone I've run across - valuable, too. I know for a fact that a tuner is what I ain't.

Dan

Comment

I'm sure there are lots of folks on here already that I didn't include.. those were just three folks I knew that helped with cars that have set records over 250mph at Bonneville...

BUT Like David... there is a ton of skill here in the mechanical range... stuff like Carbs and distributors and that junk... David of course is a Guru of Cams as well...

K

Comment

Well some of us have at least pushed a few keys to make more or sometimes less power.
        Seriously if anyone needs help with EFI, Fuel Systems, Turbos, Superchargers I will be glad to help.
        Some of us grew up on electrons and laptops mixed with gas or alcohol. Sometimes it was alcohol that caused us to try EFI (taking by the tuner not the car).
        When it comes to wiring, tuning or trying something that might be considered crazy I will try my best to impersonate a tuner.

Comment

Mike and Scott do really good impersonations too...

Were you guys in the Navy?

Nevermind

K

Comment

My real impersonation is when I attach the 4 inch exhaust pipe to the 2.0L engine and make sounds in the garage like VVVVVVVRRROOOOMMMMMMMMM!(minimum of 6000 rpm) Oh that's right the smallest engine in my driveway is 4.2L
            Or act like I can drive and try to go 200 in a roadster at Maxton.
            My best impersonation is tuning over the phone and asking what that sound is while talking a cell phone with the wind blowing and a car running or both ends of the conversation.

By the way Keith we all know you could get the Emmy for impersonations.

Comment

Thank you Dan for the compliment. I actually would like to ask a question that I could use some help with from one of these guys. We would like to run the Galaxie at Maxton a little down the road. Obviously I won't be driving. :D

The engine is (what else?) a 401 inch Ford FE, 7000 rpm top gear capable. I have an Innovators West SFI Damper with 4 trigger magnets inbedded. I am looking to step into CDI ignition like I have run on my motorcycles since the '70's. I would like to use a trigger to a sequencer/ amplifier, and 4 waste spark coils. It will be with a carb for now, but I want to be able to jack up the voltages to the coils and use Suzuki GS Pro Stock style waste spark coils. Indexed at 36° with a start and nitrous/methanol and knock retard, so a curve isn't really important as being able to deal with the pressure and temperature changes.

I am also running a roller cam, so with a bronze gear I'd prefer to knock the top off of the dizzy and make a roller bearing stub to run the oil pump.

So, I need to create a trigger and find a 4 coil sequencer box for a magnet reader pickup. I have an MSD 6AL, Blaster 2 coil and a Duraspark dizzy for a backup, but I would like the crank trigger because they have been so dead reliable on the bikes. I like to make my own things, so can anyone suggest a vague direction on a compatible trigger and coil sequencer?

Comment

Ya. What HE said. Man, Bill - I'm in your fan club. Or is he speaking gibberish? At any rate, we'd love to have you at Maxton. Many of us are old farts, so you'll fit right in. Except for the Maty twins, who are babes in the woods. Fast babes in the woods! Check the rules and come on out. Is that the bootlegger car you're thinking of bringing? Remember to empty the 'shine tank, or the SNART guys will beat you up for the contents (I'll explain when you get to the track).

Later
                Dan

Comment

Bill -

I'm not sure what's out there for a "sequencer" but we created something similar out of junkyard parts for Jon Huber's 4-cylinder mustang. We run waste spark, but with four separate coils.

That being said, I prefer inductive ignition (in applicatons that support it) over CDI, as a CDI spark is a very short duration. Benefit on motorcycles is the practically zero dwell time required... but we were unable to support the kind of power we needed on Jon's mustang (170 cubic inch 4-cylinder, about 950hp at the crank, running about 40psi manifold pressure) with CDI coils... we went with a set of Pantera inductive coils, with a built in ignitor.

Are you planning on running locked timing? or do you need variable timing? There's a system out there called "Megasquirt" that is as DIY as you want it to be, that will do exactly what you're looking for. For just a couple hundred bucks. You can even assemble it yourself, or buy one preassembled.... let me know if you want more info on that.

Keith, thanks for the kind words, I fancy myself more of an EMS designer than "tuner" but, in order to be a good designer, you have to know a thing or two about the tuning part... thus, the projects I've worked on.

I'm not as experienced as a guy like Mike L. but where I can really shine is the low buck, DIY approach. We've done some pretty crazy sh!t with parts from a jnkyard.

-scott
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I've worked with and tuned with Scott (aka Diesel Geek) and I can tell you one thing about his abilities as described by him.

HE'S FULL OF SHIT!!!!!

He's an amazing tuner with an understanding that is different than your typical engine guy, but it works for him and all that have utilized his skills. As the Hubers can attest, he is modest, fun to be around, and talented. A rare combo indeed.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I'll be watching this forum with interest. I need to learn how to tune, or at least modify in the correct direction, the chip for a heavily mod'd '93 LT1 motor. 396 ci and aiming (hoping??) for 500 + streetable hp. It's going into a '55 chevy. First time venturing into the world of efi for me. Reading everything I can find.
                      Aloha,
                      Willy

Comment

i have been tuning carbs for years. learned old school with the sound, smell, and looking at plugs method. i am getting into the late model tuning stuff and getting taught directly by a friend of mine who is a beta tester and tech support for HPTuners. gotta love getting the car dialed in without spilling gas all over the place.

Comment

I was pondering a tuning question yesterday....how would a megasquirt work as a data logger for tuning a carb'd engine?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            Bill -

I'm not sure what's out there for a "sequencer" but we created something similar out of junkyard parts for Jon Huber's 4-cylinder mustang. We run waste spark, but with four separate coils.

That being said, I prefer inductive ignition (in applicatons that support it) over CDI, as a CDI spark is a very short duration. Benefit on motorcycles is the practically zero dwell time required... but we were unable to support the kind of power we needed on Jon's mustang (170 cubic inch 4-cylinder, about 950hp at the crank, running about 40psi manifold pressure) with CDI coils... we went with a set of Pantera inductive coils, with a built in ignitor.

Are you planning on running locked timing? or do you need variable timing? There's a system out there called "Megasquirt" that is as DIY as you want it to be, that will do exactly what you're looking for. For just a couple hundred bucks. You can even assemble it yourself, or buy one preassembled.... let me know if you want more info on that.

Keith, thanks for the kind words, I fancy myself more of an EMS designer than "tuner" but, in order to be a good designer, you have to know a thing or two about the tuning part... thus, the projects I've worked on.

I'm not as experienced as a guy like Mike L. but where I can really shine is the low buck, DIY approach. We've done some pretty crazy sh!t with parts from a jnkyard.

-scott
                            Possible light bulb going on. Would an 8 plug 2.3L Ford would do it? I may have the exact setup on our '93 4 cyl convertible. I have worked on so many of the OEM stuff through the years it all runs together. I wish I could see it, but as I remember there was a crank position sensor with a reluctor on the crank, an EDIS ignition module with the 4 twin out coils, and whole system getting ground from the EEC.

When you say that you like inductive better, do you mean a basic Kettering central distribution system? If so, do you think I should just stay with my Duraspark/MSD module and coil distributor? They have been dead reliable, but the EEC IV OEM systems around are pretty tasty looking, and holy crap they run forever. The 2.3L convert has over 200,000 miles, and all that has been done is timing belts, a water pump, just normal maintenance.

Thanks for the reply. The Megasquirt would be a very good solution, it may be what I go with if I can overcome my junkyard fever. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                              I was pondering a tuning question yesterday....how would a megasquirt work as a data logger for tuning a carb'd engine?

I've set them up for carb guys as dataloggers.

Use a string potentiometer attached to the throttle for TPS input. Vacuum source for manifold pressure, coolant and intake air temp sensors are cheap and easy to mount; tap into the negative side of the coil for RPM input. Log fuel pressure with a cheap sending unit from Aircraft Spruce... a buddy of ours hacked up an old G-tech unit and wired it into a spare MS input to log accelleration.

I've even set one up for a carb guy, to be an ignition controller. Similar features to the MSD Digital-8 box (and quite a few more) for under $300.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X