X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RacerRick
    replied
    Re: Tuners Room...

I was thinking of a small seperate fuel style system of a couple of injectors controlled by the MS. I have an ancient Edelbrock varijection system on it right now with a holley spread bore double pumper. Works ok, but I think with better fuel and spark control, I could safely upgrade to a larger turbo and not hurt the engine.
    That would work, but if you were going through the effort I'd just let MS control both the primary and secondary fuelling. Unless the plumbing work is a hassle.

-scott
    The problem is the turbo intake won't take injectors. Its an old Martin intake and the turbo is a draw through. I could use a TBI setup. I was thinking just a hobbs switch and some sort of mister nozzles might work, controlled by the MS. Maybe I will try to find a working Varijection.

Leave a comment:

• revolutionary
    replied

ON the LT1 route you can also pick up a 36-1 wheel from a bunch of sources like Electromotive and bolt it to the backside of your stock damper. Just tap the holes that are already drilled in the damper. Use a pickup from your favorite source (MSD sells a nice one for $72) and modify an old style SBC mounting bracket to bolt it up to the drivers side front of your block. We did that and it fit fine on a 95 Camaro with a turbo sitting up front.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thank you Scott, I believe it will be my next move as soon as I can be out of bed more than a few hours at a time

I really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

megasquirt is a good box. There are a lot of RV guys who use it for mileage improvements, that put tens of thousands of miles on it a year. Other guys use it to run their crazy 4wd trucks in the frozen north... other guys are running snowmobiles... a friend of mine runs it on his two stroke jet skis (using a ford MAF sensor!).

Built properly, it's as reliable as an OEM computer. You can go so far as coating the board and potting the case if you want it to handle the weather, but there are a few components on the board not rated for the temp extremes you'd see if you mounted it under the hood.

-scott

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I have been away sick for a few days, but the info here has been great. Going back a page or so, as I understand I really could get a megasquirt and it will take care of the whole thing. I am pretty sure that I can get an FE 36-1 reluctor from them, which would save machining the 4-cyl wheel hub.

I used to have access to Rotunda SAW generator to bypass the EEC and allow the use of the EDIS and stock trigger and dial the timing into the breakout box. Last I checked the megasquirt is right about neck and neck cost wise, and I don't believe the Rotunda was made to run for hours like the Megasquirt would be. Drag racing it was great, but any long distance running might be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

I was thinking of a small seperate fuel style system of a couple of injectors controlled by the MS. I have an ancient Edelbrock varijection system on it right now with a holley spread bore double pumper. Works ok, but I think with better fuel and spark control, I could safely upgrade to a larger turbo and not hurt the engine.
    That would work, but if you were going through the effort I'd just let MS control both the primary and secondary fuelling. Unless the plumbing work is a hassle.

-scott

Leave a comment:

• RacerRick
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Has anyone gotten a Megasquirt to work controlling a water injection system that is boost sensitive on top of its fuel injection.

I am thinking of Megasquirting my Camaro if I keep it and ungrading the turbo to a 60-1.

Yes, megasquirt can control water injection. The problem is, typical W/M injection setups are "on/off" so you end up just enabling a relay at a certain MAP pressure. THat's easy to do.

There is also a way to fire a PWM solenoid for variable injection but it's hard to find a solenoid that will live under methanol or water use, and as they wear out, they have different delivery rates for a givem PWM input... thus making the tune unstable. Better yet, there's a way to use the secondary injector driver and use injectors and pressurized supply (like a normal fuel system) to feed the mix into the intake. There are a lot of different ways to do it on megasquirt, mostly MS1-Extra software based.

-scott

Leave a comment:

• RacerRick
    replied

Has anyone gotten a Megasquirt to work controlling a water injection system that is boost sensitive on top of its fuel injection.

I am thinking of Megasquirting my Camaro if I keep it and ungrading the turbo to a 60-1.

Leave a comment:

• 2Loose
    replied

Thanks Scott,
    I did upgrade the Opti to the later vented version, as I know the '93 non-vented Opti's did have some real problems. A lot of the later Opti's around here are still running just fine with no problems. I'll watch this closely. There was also a system that modified the ignition to a coil fire system (8 coils) like the LS setup, removing the high voltage from the opti, using it to fire the coils. Don't know much about it, but someone was touting it as a "cure" for the so-called Opti problems. $$ though....
    The cam is a Comp Cam hyd roller, Duration: Intake: 236˚@ .050; Exhaust: 244˚@ .050; Lift:Intake: .585; Exhaust: .580; Lobe separation: 112˚
    And no, I don't need a trans controller, T56 suits me just fine!
    Thanks,
    Willy

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

2-loose, pay attention, Chad's is an LT1 like yours.

If you don't need trans control and can do a remote mount IAC (if you even need that), his setup is about $1100-1200 worth of stuff if you go with the warrantied, already-built eMS-pro; if you go the megasquirt route, you're talking about $700-800 in total parts. That would cover your EMS, wire harness, crank trigger and sensor, and ignition system.

it's a nice simple standalone that works,

-scott

Leave a comment:

• shaun callaway
    replied

dont worry chad i know all the super secret spots we can hit up and have some fun. on top of it all i dont even think the "PIGS" will take a second look at you in your ride unless they see you in the act...lol...

Leave a comment:

• BangShiftChad
    replied

I don't have pics up of Rusty's setup. I will get some up this week though. As Scott knows, I love it. No need for the optispark this way. Mine is just a simple mandrel I had machined that holds the edis wheel. Then a simple bracket to hold the GM Ls crank position sensor and your all done. My system is controlled by an EMS Pro which is Megasquirt based. Go megasquirt and you are good to go. This thing has been dead nuts reliable and very fun to play with. Stay tuned because we are going to do an injector swap, posi unit (mine is blown up) and hit the spray on Rusty. We're aiming for the 12's. Not bad for an old jalopy. Street race money should be easy to come by with that combo don't you think? Not that we here at CarJunkieTV condone that type of activity.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedZealot
    replied

.............. have you thought of just switching to a ls1 motor in your lt1 car, that makes 500rwhp a breeze
    Nawww, I have already spent too much on this motor, ported trick flow heads from Lloyd Elliot, expensive internals, 4 bolt mains, ported and upgraded intake system, other fancy stuff.....
    It's almost complete, just got a set of fuel rails that will fit the '93 intake.....
    And I have a T56 trans I am reworking to put behind this motor....

I don't have any objection to changing to a newer computer control system and either staying with speed density or adding a maf sensor and going to that style system. Just trying to learn what might work best. I've been looking around for a later ('94 up) wire harness I might be able to use on this motor. I do have a '93 system on hand. Just trying to learn what is possible and what might work best. I understand the problems with the '93 chip system, I do have an old laptop running windows 3.1, use it to tune the stand-alone 4L80E trans controller in my '55 chevy half ton 4x4. But haven't tried any chip work yet.
    Aloha,
    Willy
    Looks like you spent a little bit. The limiting factor will be your opti, there's not really any problem with running the 93 SD setup, just getting the chip burning equip to do it. The SD setup is much easier to work with on the lt1 stuff, and its good for mucho power, more than you'll make with that setup. Whats the cam specs?

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Scott,

Ok since you mentioned it - what is the rev limit on EDIS?

7200rpm on most units. It's a PITA to figure out which EDIS module has what rev limit. Some of them are 6000rpm modules. There used to be a nice website about EDIS hardware that would tell yuo aprt numbers but it's long gone - and a quick search turned up nothing for me.

The benefit of EDIS is that it's dead nuts reliable. The downside is the lack of ignition control, quetionable rev limits, non-adjustable dwell for boosted applications or if you want to run hotter coils, etc. But as far as setting one up on any 4, 6 or 8-cyl engine - hell they're easier than a distributor if you ask me!

-scott

Leave a comment:

Working...
X