2006 6.0 question for Deiselgeek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 6.0 question for Deiselgeek

Just bought a f350 with 150,000 miles.Starts up in the morning just fine,drive it for ten minutes and shut it off and it will not start back up.
    cranks fine,new batteries,no smoke, egr valve not glogged.Any heat related ideas to cause this.
    After thirty minutes it starts back just like nothing is wrong.
    Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Originally posted by CaminoKid View Post
    Just bought a f350 with 150,000 miles.Starts up in the morning just fine,drive it for ten minutes and shut it off and it will not start back up.
    cranks fine,new batteries,no smoke, egr valve not glogged.Any heat related ideas to cause this.
    After thirty minutes it starts back just like nothing is wrong.
    Not a 6.0 expert here, sorry! but there are plenty of websites you can go to that will explain whatever your problem is, it's going to cost many thousands to fix... sucks but the 6.0s are a money pit.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

did some googling on "hot no start" and lots of guys say this is a high pressure oil leak. HPOP or oil cooler possibly. Also can be the "ICP" sensor, unplug that and try to start it warm.

If you plan on working on the truck yourself, a good scanner (autoingenuity?) seems like a good investment. These engines are *extremely* trouble prone. Put it this way: when the 6.0 first came out, everyone was excited and called the 7.3 a Piece of Crap. Fast forward a decade, everyone now thinks the 7.3 engines are "the most desirable" of Ford diesels. I still think the 7.3s are underpowered, miserable economy, narrow powerband etc but they do beat the 6.0s by a lot.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I want to think back to problems blowing a gasket out you have to pull the intake off for and its the plate with a million screws or worm trails. I need a nap to remember, getting old I dont mind its the wearing out.....
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Shop tried to get it to not start all day and it started every time.I go to pick up the truck and it wont crank.As far as the 6.0 being a pos that is not true.Fords elecrical issues make the motor look like a pos.Its not the motor thats the problem it is Fords bullshit electronics.
          They are checking the ICP sensor in the morning and the crank trigger also.I will keep you posted and thanks for the response.

Comment

As far as the 6.0 being a pos that is not true.Fords elecrical issues make the motor look like a pos.Its not the motor thats the problem it is Fords bullshit electronics.
            The electronics and all hard parts are Navistar - not Ford.

Let me tell you about the time we pulled my buddy's mustang down to Phoenix for a Fun Ford event. Used his brand new 2006 6.0 PSD truck. Thing started running rough about 2/3 of the way there (21 hour drive), puking coolant, overheating, etc. Turns out the head bolts stretched and the engine didn't even have a tuner or cold air intake on it yet. It's pretty common knowledge that if you haven't upgraded the head bolts (Ford has a TSB on this I believe?) that you'll want to do that at some point. Hopefully it's already been done on yours. I'm trying not to be a Negative Nancy here but, there are Law Firms who specialize in ONLY litigating Ford 6.0 Diesel problems against Ford. Tens of thousands of owners & Ford Techs will tell you that the 6.0 is without a doubt the largest POS ever put in a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
              The electronics and all hard parts are Navistar - not Ford.

Let me tell you about the time we pulled my buddy's mustang down to Phoenix for a Fun Ford event. Used his brand new 2006 6.0 PSD truck. Thing started running rough about 2/3 of the way there (21 hour drive), puking coolant, overheating, etc. Turns out the head bolts stretched and the engine didn't even have a tuner or cold air intake on it yet. It's pretty common knowledge that if you haven't upgraded the head bolts (Ford has a TSB on this I believe?) that you'll want to do that at some point. Hopefully it's already been done on yours. I'm trying not to be a Negative Nancy here but, there are Law Firms who specialize in ONLY litigating Ford 6.0 Diesel problems against Ford. Tens of thousands of owners & Ford Techs will tell you that the 6.0 is without a doubt the largest POS ever put in a truck.

i work for utility company and we had alot of problems with 6.0
              as bad as they where 6.4 is 10 times worse
              we don`t buy fords anymore because of the 6.o and 6.4
              the 6.7 dodge is much better engine ,the cabs suck but other wise very reliable
              sigpichttp://projectstang.blogspot.com/

Comment

After visiting several forums last night,for as many trucks with problems,mostly 04-05 there are as many praises for the truck.Many satisfied customers.So for now I will reserve opinion until later.And the 7.3 have just as many complaints posted if not more than the 06 and newer fords.
                Last edited by CaminoKid; February 2, 2012, 05:24 AM.

Comment

As a guy that worked on both the 7.3 had issues to start with and was worked out by the end the 6.0 always will be a pile. First thing I would do is get it good and warm when they are done run it up to max boost and jerk your foot out of it if you hear a small LOL Fart noise.... then loosen up the degas bottle lid, (Becareful if its hot) and do it again if it quits the head gaskets are out they just have not told anyone else yet.....

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on the final fix.Replaced the dumby tubes,stand pipes and the STC valve on the hpop system.Solved the hot oil ,no starting problem.Then had a code for exhaust problems and finally took turbo apart and cleaned all fins and reinstalled and everything is running great,Once you get to the good sites on line and ask the right questions ,you find out that these diesels from o6 on up are actually a great motor and turbo combo.To all the haters out there I say you just dont have a clue as to what you are talking about,I am a chevy guy,but I choose to give this ford a chance and so far its living up to everything that I thought it could be.You just have to get the right information and the right people to talk to and they are fine.

Comment

Just wanted to follow up on the final fix.Replaced the dumby tubes,stand pipes and the STC valve on the hpop system.Solved the hot oil ,no starting problem.Then had a code for exhaust problems and finally took turbo apart and cleaned all fins and reinstalled and everything is running great,Once you get to the good sites on line and ask the right questions ,you find out that these diesels from o6 on up are actually a great motor and turbo combo.To all the haters out there I say you just dont have a clue as to what you are talking about,I am a chevy guy,but I choose to give this ford a chance and so far its living up to everything that I thought it could be.You just have to get the right information and the right people to talk to and they are fine.
                      I agree.

starting with every modern diesel engine (alot of gas too, claiming to be strong)..work egr out, get cold air..
                      I could only wager how much bullshit goes away then.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

the 6.0 head bolts stretch like no tomorrow

Comment

yup and pull threads

the bolts are way to small in diameter and too few of them. mix in the emission related failures it's a horible engine i called it job securite when i worked at the dealer.

recently quite flat rate blows monkey making more at the local cosino cleaning rooms
                          Last edited by Mater; February 26, 2012, 10:42 PM.
                          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I don't think any of us here are "haters" - the 6.0 engine has a long history of being totally and completely unreliable. You've already done 4x as much work to yours as I've done to my diesel truck, and mine is coming up on 400,000 miles.

Tell you what, I'll promise not to "hate" on your 6.0 if you promise to keep us informed of how many times yours won't start, requires service of some type, etc.

Comment

This maybe a clue the guy that had it before babied it. The variable vanes not moving the whole travel enough will cause thenm to carbon up.

Comment

Working...
                              X