Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Oil Operating Temperature........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil Operating Temperature........

So what is it??.......What's the best temperature for your oil to run at for maximum performance and protection??.......And would you ever think of using a thermostat to control oil temps??..........

All day and nobody wanted to touch this........I brought this up due to a statement in the latest HotRod about the new GT500 engine......They said that the motor has a thermostat for the oil cooler to keep the oil from falling below 220 degrees......The engineer said, "you never want to have an external type oil cooler without a thermostat or you'll never get the oil up to temp. That shortens oil life and allows acid build up."

So you say oil cooler thermostat, I've never heard of one of those before......And I say check it out.......

Free Shipping - Canton Racing Oil Cooler Thermostats with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Remote Oil Thermostats at Summit Racing.

Comment

They have been around forever, oil cooling for most guys is over rated, unless your making laps or have a terrible engine cooling system.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Oil coolers are used on towing rigs and sometimes on half filled blocks used on the street (so I have read). The concern of not getting oil hot enough is that it does not heat the water in it to steam and get rid of it. Water in oil can lead to acid formation. So I would say the oil needs to get over 212 degrees F.
        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

When we were running Diesels on the dyno I don't think we ever got over 180 but I don't know if that's typical. We sometimes flogged 'em pretty hard so it isn't that the engine was loafing (a power MAP is scary - no one in the cell during a MAP (Maximum Applied Power). While useful, a dyno is NOT the real world. We didn't seem to get water build-up in the oil but we were in a controlled environment so this info may not be useful.

We used whatever the engine came with and many had oil coolers. There was no oil thermostat unless the engine came so equipped from the manufacturer, which some might.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; February 8, 2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

They are also in Transmissions
            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

The Cat dealer told me to run the oil hot but keep it under 250 degrees on the last Acert engine I had.

Comment

I've heard this many times, but agree with Jeff.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

In racing series where they are allowed crews use oil pan/tank heaters on the warm oil cold engine theory. Peterson sells a nice unit. I see 180* down the road on hotter days or higher loads and have an oil cooler. Also run a vacuum pump which pulls the water out of the oil at well below 212*.
                  Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

i run a oil cooler
                    i drive the vehicle
                    i don't have any condensation problems
                    except for the head gasket leak
                    last 5 years i have drove the 56--60,000+miles with 4 different engines
                    sea how well the oil cooler works

Comment

Working...
                    X