Damage 3.25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage 3.25

As the other blog post about Damage #3 has blown up into a soap opera, I figure I might as well post this stuff here.

Damage 3.25 is this: "Customer states locking part of rear diff in inop"
    "Performed Road test and verified thee is a shudder in the rear need to replace differential see PIP 3387D Differential carrier is not serviceable will need to replace differential unit spoke with parts department and there are no parts and no complete unit available for replacement. Opened case... customer refuses to allow used 29k part to be put in vehicle."

so I thought they were going to simply give me the money to buy another differential - the Gforce 1320 rear differential is a lot more than the price of the service part. So I believed that they would only give me the price of the part. Their first offer was they would put the part in if I paid the difference. I said "no." Really, that's all I said (okay, I may have chuckled a little bit).

Nope

GM says no, however, they will buy the part from Gforce and put it in the car for me along with new half-shafts. I can't imagine they'll do this (mostly because I think there are electronics that are eliminated with the Gforce differential) - but that is what today's offer is*.... to be continued

*in other words, they would rather pay 10k for a new rear differential they put in than pay me 4k and make it my problem... sad part is, I understand why - I just don't think it's the best business practice.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 15, 2012, 04:12 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I last saw a diff problem in GTO was in 2004..fried pinion bearings ..no parts available to overhaul then ,.. we got the whole center section from dana australia ...could be true ..06 seems a little early to cancel parts

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
      I last saw a diff problem in GTO was in 2004..fried pinion bearings ..no parts available to overhaul then ,.. we got the whole center section from dana australia ...could be true ..06 seems a little early to cancel parts
      When I worked at Spectre, in 2007 we had the rear end serviced in our '05 GTO because the limited slip unit was no longer working. But, since we took the car to multiple track days, we didn't try to pretend it was a mystery and demand warranty coverage. We manned up and paid for the service, if I recall it was around $700. That's for a 2005 GTO M6.
      Last edited by dieselgeek; February 15, 2012, 05:18 PM.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

we were very generous in 2004 ..I had no problem with it - rear ends are very weak these days , the only new car that had a decent rear is the trailblazer ss with the 9.5

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
          When I worked at Spectre, in 2007 we had the rear end serviced in our '05 GTO because the limited slip unit was no longer working. But, since we took the car to multiple track days, we didn't try to pretend it was a mystery and demand warranty coverage. We manned up and paid for the service, if I recall it was around $700. That's for a 2005 GTO M6.
          oh look who's trolling

Comment

when you worked at Spectre you spent someone else's money to get a car fixed. that relates how? oh wait, the buffoon doesn't have a point

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              when you worked at Spectre you spent someone else's money to get a car fixed. that relates how? oh wait, the buffoon doesn't have a point

LOL.

"Person A" posted on a public forum about a problem with their GTO. "Person B" used to have a company car that was almost the exact same car, with the same problem. "Person B" posts up his relevant experiences and how much it cost to have repaired.

"Person A" seems to be namecalling and stirring up trouble. Reminds me of how Stich used to be. We all know what happened to him, so maybe you should try to play nice ;-) calling someone a troll and a buffoon is a good way to get banned from here.
              Last edited by dieselgeek; February 15, 2012, 08:29 PM.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Please...this shit gets really F*&%ing old...

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                  let's analyze - "pretend it was a mystery" and "we manned up"

nice try buffoon, you're a troll - you added nothing to the conversation except an attempt to stir the pot. And yes, it would be nice if you got banned - after all, you add nothing to this thread.

Comment

back to the subject ..as the search engineer is riled up about someone owning a performance car ...what blew again ? is your car on extended warranty ?

Comment

The dealer should be determining the cause FAILURE now that would be worth knowing.
                      It’s all getting old, no one is learning anything from any part of either post. This is like Twitter or Face Book, I got up, I had eggs, I breathe in, I breathe out. What are these posts even about, your offering ZERO TECH in these much needed posts?
                      If the Dealer looked and saw the plates are thin and where wear related and not to Material or workmanship, it would be your repair to fix. Be glad you’re getting help at all. If a tire is not spinning the posi is not even being used.
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                        The dealer should be determining the cause FAILURE now that would be worth knowing.
                        It’s all getting old, no one is learning anything from any part of either post. This is like Twitter or Face Book, I got up, I had eggs, I breathe in, I breathe out. What are these posts even about, your offering ZERO TECH in these much needed posts?
                        If the Dealer looked and saw the plates are thin and where wear related and not to Material or workmanship, it would be your repair to fix. Be glad you’re getting help at all. If a tire is not spinning the posi is not even being used.
                        Does the posi unit even have "plates" or clutches, the one in my Camaro was all gears...........None serviceable........

Comment

Never saw a all gears posi the gears ones have plates behind the side gears and a break away TQ of only 40 LBS on a Ford lift one tire in neutral and TQ wrench on a stud and if it was 40 lbs or above its good, yep not much of a posi, and not hard to take out if a guy wants to show off if under 40 we tore it down to see the cause of failure. We turned down all kinds of kids who burned them up and spider gears up. Not a covered repair and please pay the tear down on your way out.
                          Last edited by JeffMcKC; February 16, 2012, 09:40 AM.
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

TC the type GM uses is cluches if it was all gears then it was either an aftermarket unit or an open diff and not a limited slip

i am actualy trying to think of a factory limited slip that does not use cluches and i can not think of one off the top of my head
                            Last edited by Mater; February 16, 2012, 02:56 PM.
                            Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                            Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                              Does the posi unit even have "plates" or clutches, the one in my Camaro was all gears...........None serviceable........
                              Torsen diff - 700 bucks
                              trucks have Lockers !!! work good but are flimsy..

GM should cast in flat metal braces like ford to make their rear axles look bigger
                              Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; February 16, 2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X