Aerocoupe window removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerocoupe window removal

I picked up the parts to convert my Monte to an Aerocoupe. Now i need to figure out how to remove the back window without breaking it or damaging the rubber trim around it. I called a couple glass guys in the area and they had no idea and didn't really want to touch it. Anyone have any ideas on how it's help in so ?i can take it out?
    Attached Files

piano wire

Comment

Autoglass removal tool. Tool for cutting face glazing and back bedding of commercial and residential glazing. Tool used for separating IG units to salvage glass, removing floor tiles and removing barnacles from boats of all descriptions.

Comment

I wondered - glued in? Answer 2 is good... it'd be easier to find an older glass guy. I don't think I'd want to learn cutting one out on something that pricey.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

yeah , the glass guy would get em out in one piece

Comment

I'm still hoping to find a glass guy who is willing to do it and seems capable if getting it out in one piece.

Comment

Are you on Montecarloss.com?

If so, have you seen this thread?

The guy is making a GN "Aerocoupe" and there's a ton of detail in that topic that will help you.

Seems like you already know this, but be SUPER careful with that window seal as I'm pretty sure that it's not reproduced.

Given that you're going to need that package tray to complete the conversion, have you thought about keeping the glass attached and cutting the roof and quarterpanels of your current Monte? There's going to be some cutting and welding needed regardless, and while it's a little more work it'll avoid the "Oh man, I just ruined this window" moment that you're risking with your current plan.

Good luck!
              I take photos.

Comment

if you cut and weld with the glass in place, you need to be extra careful not to get any grinder or weld spatter on it...it will damage the glass.

I'd just look at the seal and figure out how it works. If it's a rubber gasket, then it will either have a lock strip or it won't. If it does not, then you most likely just push the glass out while pulling the strip away from the metal, on the inside of the car. You have to be careful to not apply too much pressure, etc. and work slowly.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I used a Dremel Multi-max tool with the included flexible scraper blade to cut the back window out of my El Camino-worked great without putting any stress on the glass. Put a good layer of tape on the inside of the glass so you don't scratch it if you get the tool a little off angle. This tool has been far more useful that I ever thought it would.

Comment

propane torch to soften it up or heat gun
                    Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; February 19, 2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X